Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foliage best practice

Hello !

I was wondering what are the best practices for Foliages with Vray : mesh VS opacity for leaves.

We used to work with mesh for leaves because we had problems with some render Elements and/or some shaders override (Occlusion, ZDepth filtered and unfiltered, custom shader override...) and it was (in the good old times) longer to render with opacity than polys.
    Is it still the case ? or opacity leaves is now the best for rendering leaves & trees.

We aim huge vegetation (quantity and quality) for animation.

Thanks !

Ressources :
    - https://www.chaosgroup.com/blog/port...ay-for-3ds-max
    - http://www.peterguthrie.net/blog/200...utorial-leaves

http://tatprod.com/

to get quality you need opacity for leaves.
    Marcin Piotrowski
    youtube

Comment

Computers have gotten so much better I haven't worried about this in years. Now, if you have a machine that is older and not beefy enough, opacity might be your enemy.
      Bobby Parker
      www.bobby-parker.com
      e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
      phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
      • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
      • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
      • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I'm talking about animation for cinema, so that multiples vegetation (vrayProxy used in Forest) in multiples sets, foreground or background.
        Optimisation is so important when you deal with huge quantity of frames & multiples renderFarms.

By the way, in my early tests, it seems that opacity is a bit lighter in RAM but seems to be longer in renderTimes. Is that supposed to be exact ?
        I'm continuing investigation.

Comment

Originally posted by piotrus3333 View Post
          to get quality you need opacity for leaves.
          Sorry to jump in on the thread, glad I came across as I am working on updating our foliage library. How are you guys creating your foliage materials? Say, for grass?

Just wondering if my approach is correct???

Click image for larger version  Name:	Grass_2Sided.JPG Views:	1 Size:	149.5 KB ID:	1039788Click image for larger version  Name:	Grass_01.JPG Views:	1 Size:	334.5 KB ID:	1039789

This is scattered via FP with forest colour map in the diffuse to add variation. Excuse the out of scale daises.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	DanGrass.jpg Views:	2 Size:	1.89 MB ID:	1039793

Last edited by DanSHP; 19-06-2019, 03:54 AM.

Comment

you don’t need material for the back faces if it is the same material as front.
            and turn off translucency inside grass01. it only works if mesh has volume. you are getting translucency you need with 2 sided mtl.
            Marcin Piotrowski
            youtube

Comment

Originally posted by piotrus3333 View Post
              you don’t need material for the back faces if it is the same material as front.
              and turn off translucency inside grass01. it only works if mesh has volume. you are getting translucency you need with 2 sided mtl.
              Excellent!

Comment

opacity mode makes a big difference.
                under the material options:

Opacity mode – Controls how the opacity map works. For more information, see the Opacity mode parameter example below.

Normal – The opacity map is evaluated as normal: the surface lighting is computed and the ray is continued for the transparent effect. The opacity texture is filtered as normal.
                Clip – The surface is shaded as either fully opaque or fully transparent depending on the value of the opacity map (i.e. without any randomness). This mode also disables the filtering of the opacity texture. This is the fastest mode, but it might increase flickering when rendering animations.
                Stochastic – The surface is randomly shaded as either fully opaque or fully transparent so that on average it appears to be with the correct transparency. This mode reduces lighting calculations but might introduce some noise in areas where the opacity map has gray-scale values. The opacity texture is still filtered as normal.
                Last edited by werticus; 19-06-2019, 09:43 PM.
                WerT
                www.dvstudios.com.au

Comment

Hello
                  We've made new tests and it turn out that planes leaves are munch more expensives in renderTimes than mesh leaves, while a huge polycount difference.

Here our test :
                  2 leaves : 6 poly for planes & 480 for leave (just added a quadrify to artificially increase the polycount)

2 Trees made with GrowFX & converted into VrayProxy. I've a little difference in scale but it shouldn't interact.

Tree with planes : 460 k polys
                  Render Time : 5min30
                  RAM : 3,6 Go

Tree with meshs : 14 Millions poly ( +30%)
                  Render Time : 3min20
                  RAM : 7 Go

Forest with 5700 items, 1 vraySun

With planes : ~2.600 M polys
                  Render Time : ~70 min
                  RAM : 4 Go

With meshs : ~81.600 M polys
                  Render Time : ~14 min
                  RAM : 5 Go

14 minutes only VS 70 min for opacity leaves ! While we have 30x more poly in the mesh scene....

I am doing something wrong or is it as intended ?
                  I'm continuing tests on shaders for the opacity, to see if i can optimize whatever.

-p-

Comment

Great that you're actually taking the time to test this, I always wondered the same. To have the best comparison as possible shouldn't the leaves have roughly the same size?
                    A.

---------------------
                    www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Hey,

I've down my renderTime for a forest with plane from 70min to 28min by lowering blur from 1 to 0,001 in the opacity map.
                      I'll try to see if this doesn't make the render too noisy.

BUT, this is still a 28min vs 14min for meshs.... 2 time longer for opacity map !.... i'm really wondering if it's worth.

Comment

This is interesting, thanks for sharing.
                        Could you try "clip" mode for opacity to compare render time?
                        -------------------------------------------------------------
                        Simply, I love to put pixels together! Sounds easy right : ))
                        Sketchbook-1 /Sketchbook-2 / Behance / Facebook

Comment

Isn't this going to be scene/output dependent? Also dependent on what is close to the camera.
                          It seems hard to have a solution which works in all situations unless modelling fidelity and polygon count is not an issue.
                          As an example - a curved leaf with a complex spiky edge. This simply wouldn't look great if it was a plane with opacity unless it was far away, so it needs at least a curved plane with opacity. Arguably it's better to have quite simplified geometry to avoid the time hit from opacity and potential issues in an animated situation.
                          From this to the other extreme, which is a fully modelled leaf. And then something inbetween - a partially modelled leaf to describe the curvature well enough, with an opacity to further define the edge detail.
                          So it's 'horses for courses', no?
                          https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

Working...
                          X