Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Migration from 3.6 to Next without downtime?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migration from 3.6 to Next without downtime?

I have a corporate client who has two artists and 5 nodes on 3.6. They have recently purchased the upgrade to V-RayNext. The problem is that they are extremely busy and there are always jobs in the DR/BB queue. I'm trying to help them figure out the best way to migrate over to Next without any disruption. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Dave
    David Anderson
    www.DavidAnderson.tv

Software:
    Windows 10 Pro
    3ds Max 2023.3 Update
    V-Ray GPU 6 Update 1

Hardware:
    Puget Systems
    TRX40 EATX
    AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32-Core 3.69GHz
    2X NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
    128GB RAM

Have they got a newer max version they can put next on and run the two in parallel?

Comment

the only way is to do it via a max upgrade at the same time. we have 2016 with 3.6 and 2019 with next v 2, and we'll keep 16/3.6 installed until we move to 202~ and vray-future or whatever it's called.

Comment

As far as I know, you can't have two separate installations of V-Ray running on the same node. If so, how? On my own system, when I ran the Next installer, it uninstalls 3.6 first.

My client is on 2018/3.6, so it would be possible to do a parallel install, but I just don't know how you can run two versions of V-Ray concurrently.
        David Anderson
        www.DavidAnderson.tv

Software:
        Windows 10 Pro
        3ds Max 2023.3 Update
        V-Ray GPU 6 Update 1

Hardware:
        Puget Systems
        TRX40 EATX
        128GB RAM

Comment

You're mistaken - it's 2 separate versions of vray per copy of max that cant be done. you can can install as many different versions of vray as you have versions of max installed.

tell them to leave 2018 with 3.6, install max 2019, then install vray next - only for max 2019. the 2018/3.6 copy will continue to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Neilg View Post
            You're mistaken - it's 2 separate versions of vray per copy of max that cant be done. you can can install as many different versions of vray as you have versions of max installed.

tell them to leave 2018 with 3.6, install max 2019, then install vray next - only for max 2019. the 2018/3.6 copy will continue to work.
            Excellent. This makes sense as I've been on them to upgrade to 2019 or 2020 for some time now. Many thanks!
            David Anderson
            www.DavidAnderson.tv

Software:
            Windows 10 Pro
            3ds Max 2023.3 Update
            V-Ray GPU 6 Update 1

Hardware:
            Puget Systems
            TRX40 EATX
            128GB RAM