Lod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lod

When I was managing a team using Revit we talked a lot about the level of detail or LOD. I have clients who enjoy their zoom tools and make comments on some ridiculous things. I am working with a client now who is marking up how her standing seam roof ribs are mitering. If I were doing some renderings for a standing seam roof manufacturer and they were close up renderings I can see, but this is for her house plans. Do you have anything in your contract addressing the image level of detail? Do you just suck it up and make changes like this or do you try to focus them on more important things, like getting their job done!
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

more details = more time = more expensive

Comment

Originally posted by muoto View Post
      more details = more time = more expensive
      How do you write that in words? I mean, how much detail should they expect? I use a review site and I am going to inquire about having the ability to disable the zoom tool. I am thinking about creating a list of canned responses. It would be like printing out an image and them taking out a 10X zoom magnifying glass to review it. I guess an expectation clause would be good too.
      Bobby Parker
      www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Usually I have initial task, 1-2 rounds of reasonable comments included. Everything on top - additional charge, usually hourly. When we are coming to that - they start to think about what is important to change
        Available for remote work.
        My LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/olegbudeanu/

Comment

That's how I roll as well, with two sets of revisions. Usually, the first round has the normal comment and then the second is basically done, so since they know they have another round available they get ridiculously obnoxious with their comments. I think part of my problem is I give them high-resolution final quality for their proofs, so they can zoom in to the smallest detail. If I gave them half-resolution I might avoid the overcritical comments.
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

tell them to jog on imo. if they want to see standing seams go and take a photo.
            (unless the render is about standing seam flashings)

Comment

I think it is peoples expectations that need to be spelled out. They get so caught up in details that won't make there image any better. Nobody is going to take out a magnifying glass, see that there are two vents under your fridge and not three, and refuse to buy your condo (it happened). I have been hard nose lately about changes. They think it'll take a few minutes to do what they ask, but it is usually an hour or so and they'll ask for 1/2 dozen things, so now a day is gone. Who works for a day for free? Now, after the two revisions, I charge... period!
              Bobby Parker
              www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
              • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

It's a relatively tricky one that I have overcome somewhat by asking clients at the outset exactly what their use is going to be for anything I output.
                I explain the whole LOD thing and those that are knowledgeable or interested can make their own minds up - as naturally, as I explain, it can greatly affect the cost.
                Just another reason for a client to have storyboarded their project or at least know the basics of what they will need.
                I do not however have any contract that stipulates this, so that'd be my fault if things go tits up
                https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

I guess it is a personality thing. I generally try to avoid making people work more than they have to and others make more work for people because they can. Just because you can mark something up doesn't mean you have to. I give two grayscale proofs and two-color proofs. after the 1st color proof things are pretty much done, but because they have a second revision at their disposal, they sometimes just make things up to comment on. I don't mind because they have the two revisions (two gray and two-color). The problem comes when they are on their 4th or 5th and they keep on making comments, all new ones as if they have mine time for as long as they think they need it. I have one guy who I fought for a month with because he kept asking for changes and I kept doing them. After the 9th set of revisions, he said, "now I can show them to my boss". You guessed it, his boss had over 100 comments across three images. I said, no way, no how! He knew I gave him 7 extra revisions, and he had the balls to expect me to make his bosses revisions, acting like I was bad for rejecting the idea. I sent him a quote and his project still sits there unfinished.

Currently, I have another project stalled because he is trying to use me to do his color studies. I did three color options for nothing, telling him when he approved the imaged earlier for high-resolution finals they were done. He said that he needed them for a construction sign, but the owners didn't like the colors he chose. I did three color options to help him out, but when he requested a 4th I sent him a quote. Again, this guy went postal because I guess he assumed I am just here at his beck-and-call. I explained to him that color studies are something I can help him with and I do them often, however, I get paid for my work.

Okay, now I am just rambling.
                  Bobby Parker
                  www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                  • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Oh I really hate that, when designer is doing his work by your hands - for free!
                    I am flexible with that sometimes and I allow that for some clients. Some changes are easy to be done in post - even texture change.
                    But sometimes it's just annoying, especially when client asks to change this chair to another crazy-looking one, and please - here is your 250x400 px photo from one side to model it And after that asks to change it back.
                    Right when I see this kind of attitude - I start charging hourly.
                    Available for remote work.
                    My LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/olegbudeanu/

Comment

Working...
                    X