Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Objects don't look like they are touching the floor

Hi all,

Probably super noobie question but I'm struggling with a project right now where some of my objects don't look like they are actually touching the ground. I can post some images of the problem if needed but stuff like chairs that are 100% touching the floor don't seem to be making shadows under the feet even though they should be so just look like they are floating.

I imagine this is complete user error but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post some images please.

One quick thing you can try is to set the shadow bias of all your lights to a lower value. I think the default is 0.020, try setting it to 0.001. If that doesn't help, and if you're not using Global Illumination, try enabling it with the default settings.
    __
    https://surfaceimperfections.com/

Comment

Just a quick render but you get the idea, the bottom of the walls and the bottom of the chair feet just look disconnected from the floor, just a side note, the chairs are proxies.

Comment

Originally posted by dgruwier View Post
        Post some images please.

One quick thing you can try is to set the shadow bias of all your lights to a lower value. I think the default is 0.020, try setting it to 0.001. If that doesn't help, and if you're not using Global Illumination, try enabling it with the default settings.
        i tried playing with the shadow bias as well to no avail

Comment

That's just because it's lit to eliminate shadows. Get rid of the light trim around the inside walls.

Comment

Yeah, no contact shadow. I would turn off the lights and turn them back on, one-by-one, and find what light is the issue.
            Bobby Parker
            www.bobby-parker.com
            e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
            phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
            • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
            • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
            • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
            • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Hi guys thanks for all the replies, tried turning off lights on the outside of the room and then the inside and its made no difference unfortunately.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	render-floating-chairs-forum-2.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	766.4 KB
ID:	1051593Click image for larger version

Name:	render-floating-chairs-forum-3.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	795.3 KB
ID:	1051594

Comment

Tried turning off the HDRI that you can see in the background as well but again that didn't help.

Comment

What are your GI settings? I'm guessing you are using irradiance map and the values look quite low as nothing seems to have a shadow in any of your images, not just the chairs.
                  www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Try resetting the v-ray settings (switch to scanline renderer and back) and render again.
                    It will take longer, but if there are shadows to be traced under those chairs, they will be.
                    Then you'll know if it was the lighting, or the render settings.
                    Lele
                    Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                    ----------------------
                    emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Working...
                    X