Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can i set a predefined or default file path to save a vrmesh through maxscript?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can i set a predefined or default file path to save a vrmesh through maxscript?

So i have a little script that i want to save a vray proxy to the same location as the 3dsmax file is saved. I thought (based on the documentation) that it is set like this:

vrayMeshExport meshFile( "C:\ProxyTest" + ".vrmesh")

But the proxy is still saved to the defaut users folder. Anyone can tell me how to set this? Alternatively, is there a way through maxscript to set the default folder on the vray mesh export dialog?

Many thanks,

Paul

Make sure you add a colon (":") between the meshFile command and the desired path and try again. Also, to be sure, use double slashes in the path name, since singular slashes are used in some combinations. Should look something like this:
    Code:
    vrayMeshExport meshFile:"C:\\Users\\Alexander\\Desktop\\mesh.vrmesh"
    Last edited by hermit.crab; 08-11-2019, 06:29 AM.
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Thanks Aleksandar,

I'm getting a .vrmesh file to save in the right path now. So thankyou for helping me out with that one.. However if i just put a save path should it not be saving a .vrmesh with the the scene node name by default? Like it does if it saves to the default 3dsmax mesh path? That's how i understand the below snippet from the maxscript docs.

"<mesh file> is the name of the desired .vrmesh file. If the name does not contain a path, the default 3ds Max mesh path is used. If the name does not contain an extension, a .vrmesh extension is automatically appended. If the name does not contain a file name, the scene node name is used instead."

So an example would be if i have a scene with an object called box001 i would have thought that using the below path example:

vrayMeshExport meshFile:"C:\\Users\\paul.knight\\Desktop\\

then vray creates a default naming convention of box001.vrmesh meaning i would have a file on my desktop called box001.vrmesh even though i havent specified the name in the path. Have i missunderstood the vray documentation about this? Any help would be really apprciated.

Many thanks, Paul
      Last edited by paul knight; 11-11-2019, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. You have understood correctly - indeed the node name should be automatically used as the .vrmesh name. I've notified our developers about the matter and added the issue to their to-do lists (Bug tracker id: VMAX-9281) for further investigation.

Comment

Oh ok. Thanks for the reply. Hopefully there's a fix for that.
          Sorry. Finally if this is a bug is there anyway to set the default folder to anothew location other than: C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\3dsMax\export
          If i can set this using maxscript then i'm not so fussed about the other bug. Couldn't find any maxscript reference to setting this folder however.

Paul

Comment

Yes, you can by creating a project. Go to File>Project>Create from current and set the desired folder that will hold the folder structure. The default location of .vrmesh exports is now set to the 'Export' folder of the project. Try this method and see if it works for you.

Comment

Working...
            X