ACES with 3ds max

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great ! that works with JPG's as bitmap texture

but how do you deal with mixed files ? some jpg as textures, and some 32bit HDRI as background for instance ?

using raw kind of removes the soft colors i get when i use sRGB in display transform on the hdri background
    Last edited by muoto; 03-01-2020, 01:05 PM.

Comment

It's funny actually, not really correct probably, but by eyeballing, i get the best results using the regular JPG or HDRI's and using ACESCG - ACES - REC2020 as settings in the VFB... (eventhough my monitor is sRGB)
      JPG textures looks kind of similar, HDRI's background do not tend to get the cyan color in the blues...
      but's a little desaturated i have the impression
      Last edited by muoto; 03-01-2020, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Hello everybody,I am trying to better understand the right ACES workflow. Since vray 5 is out and there are new options that seems to help in this, I would like to know what's your setup.

As far as I understand, now it should be done this way:

step 0: select linear tone mapping form the Color mapping menu.
        step 1: under V-Ray color management select ACEScg.
        step 2: select Auto RGB primaries for VRayBitmap textures.
        step 3: for albedo / diffuse textures select "from max" in the Color space transfer function rollout and select "RGB primaries" in the RGB color space rollout.
        step 4: for reflection / glossy / bump / normal etc... select "none" in the Color space transfer function rollout and select "Raw" in the RGB color space rollout.
        step 5: select OCIO in the frame buffer and load the OCIO file version ( 1.2 in my case ).
        step 6: Input color space = ACEScg and View transform = sRGB / Rec. 709 or whatever color space you might want to use.

Is this workflow correct? Just asking because the main problem here seems to be highlights always washed out when I try to balance the overall exposure inside a room.

If I need to create a white material with some bump effects, I must set the diffuse color around a value of 180, 180, 180 to avoid loss in details ( bump or normal ), setting to something like 230, 230, 230 give me a complete loss in details. Is this supposed to be correct or am I doing something wrong in my workflow?

Does I still need to have gamma set to 2.2 in the max preferences?

Comment

Working...
        X