Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

add a list to the distributed rendering windows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• add a list to the distributed rendering windows?

Hey there!

Is there a way to add a list of ip directly in the distributed rendering windows?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	distributedrendering.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	1056488

Clicking on "add server", past the ip, click on "ok", then copy another IP adress then go back to "add server" and so on is ok if you have 3 or 5 computers, but when it comes to more than 150 it's really a pain in the butt.
    I have the list of the computers IP adress, is it a way to add them all at once? I tried using a coma but it doesn't work

Thank you!

You can modify directly "%localappdata%\Autodesk\3dsMax\201x - 64bit\ENU\en-US\plugcfg\vray_dr.cfg" file and copy it accross the workstations.
    You can also save the DR settings in the scene itself if you use Save servers in the scene option

https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...deringSettings

Additionally - It's not really a good idea to use 150 machines for DR at once for 1 job if I understand correctly what you wrote above since the scene management will be too complicated and you won't have a benefit from DR. But - you can use them in groups of 20 or less.

Ivan Slavchev

SysOps

Chaos Group

Comment

Thank you for your answer, that's exactly what I was looking for!

When it comes to render one single big sized image, the best way to render it is to use vrayspwaner if i'm not wrong ? Because I cannot easily split the image equally and send it to deadline.

If all the computers are on the same network and working just fine, can vray handle 100 vrayspwaners for one single render or is it too much?

Comment

Originally posted by JulianD View Post
        When it comes to render one single big-sized image, the best way to render it is to use vrayspwaner if I'm not wrong? Because I cannot easily split the image equally and send it to Deadline.
        Yes, distributed rendering is a good option for large images.

Originally posted by JulianD View Post
        If all the computers are on the same network and working just fine, can vray handle 100 vrayspwaners for one single render or is it too much?
        I'd say that up to 20 is usually OK, maybe 30 for very large images and complicated scenes. The point is that the more nodes you add the more complicated the scene management is. At one point you start loosing more from disassembling / reassembling the scene than you gain from adding additional render nodes.

Additionally - if you use Deadline you can use it's integration with V-Ray's Distributed Rendering - https://docs.thinkboxsoftware.com/pr...vray-ref-label
        Ivan Slavchev

SysOps

Chaos Group

Comment

Thanks for the precisions!

Comment

Hello Julian,

We have also struggled with setting up distributed renders, with a dynamically changing ip list, managing multiple jobs, and scaling the number of nodes on said renders on the fly.
            We have come up with a solution to this issue, ( among tons of other issues regarding the rendering phase of production ), and created our own Render Manager software that serves as a perfect peace-keeper in our office.

We have also realized that we can render a single image using multiple computers without bumping into the performance cap of 20-30 nodes in Distributed, if we do Tiled Rendering, where every computed renders out a slice of the image on its own, and when it’s all done, the last one merges all the slicestogether. It is also easier to correct faulty renders this way.
            You can try it out for yourself, just to go https://pulze.io/products/render-manager to get a free trial.

Comment

Working...
            X