Use of VrayPluginNodeMtl for Unreal or Unity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use of VrayPluginNodeMtl for Unreal or Unity

So I'm doing some R&D for using gaming engines to compliment my 3dsMax + Vray visuals. I have different use cases I want to investigate for instance:

Revit > 3dsMax > Gaming Engine
    3dsMax > Gaming Engine
    Revit > Gaming Engine
    Revit > 3dsMax

Most of these will have different workflows.

The people that hand me the Revits create their own very sloppy visuals in Enscape. But I'm willing to go a few step further in terms of Web Applications and the likes, so a gaming engine will be better suited. Now as it is there's no 1-1 solution unfortunately that converts 3dsMax Vray scenes to Unity or Unreal (Datasmith / Twinmotion /.. whatever there is, you need to do a lot of manual tweaking afterwards anyway). I don't really see a comparable Datasmith tool for Unity either. There's Unity reflect but that's for Revit > Unity and this might be a valid workflow in some cases to be able to get there quicker without having to go to 3dsMax. If someone might be able to shed some light on this topic I would greatly appreciate it.

But the reason for this topic is also the VrayPluginNodeMtl, as this came out first I thought it was a shader that was compatible with the shader networks of unreal or unity, which led me to believe that these shaders could be converted easily upon export or import of a project. But as I see it now they only mimic the way the shaders work in Unreal or Unity and they need to be built from scratch in either gaming engine anyway? Or am I wrong? If not, what's the point of the Unreal or Unity options? And wouldn't it be fairly easy to write some kind of converter for the two? Just trying to figure out a solid workflow between either of these applications (in the case of when visual stills and animations are needed from within 3dsmax, or when an application is needed from a gaming engine, but with the shaders matching as close as possible between the two of course, without having to manually recreate them).

I've been reading for the last 2 days and haven't found any straight answers so any help might be appreciated. Right now as see it, I'm leaning more towards Unity, because I have the feeling that it is more mature for AEC goals, but not sure, so any insights are welcome.

Thank you so kindly.
    Last edited by Vizioen; 24-12-2019, 03:21 AM.
    A.

---------------------
    www.digitaltwins.be
Working...
X