Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone help explaining these render times betwen cpu/gpu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help explaining these render times betwen cpu/gpu?

So I have to re-render a load of animation from an old job and did upgrade in time for this in the hope I can save a load of time.
    My example frame is getting odd times that I can't understand. I have a 16 core Ryzen, a 2080 Ti RTX and a GTX 980 Ti as options to use.

On GPU using both cards plus the cpu the frame time is 1.05.7 whilst using only the cpu is taking 44.4.
    Any other combination slows things even more - somewhat naturally I guess but even comparing just using the 2080 and switching between CUDA and RTX there is practically zero change in times, which also seems odd.
    I can live with the times but it just doesn't feel like that's what should happen. Maybe I'm missing something or need to change something.

Vray next latest, 441.41 driver
    https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

I would start with an override material so see if it is an unsupported material.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Nope, nothing odd going on. It's my scene so always was all vray and very simple mats, zero errors.
      My thinking is that the 2080ti alone should be quicker for the same noise threshold than the CPU but maybe I am looking at it wrongly.
      The two cards plus the cpu should surely be faster, no?

Additionally I have tested GPU using buckets vs progressive and the bucket method is slower, which is the opposite of what I was led to believe is the quicker of the two.
      I just tested the 2080 ti alone again and the CUDA time was 2.26.6 whilst the RTX time was 2.27.3, which as I mentioned above is not what I was expecting.
      So can anyone else report the same or whether the driver is the wrong one? (I've only seen that the 441.41 is the right one to use).

Or, is it simply the case that the 16 core 3950x is naturally outperforming the gfx cards, either singly or combined?... and that the fact that adding the cpu in hybrid is somehow bringing nothing to the table in terms of speed is to be expected, some limitation, conflict or otherwise?
      This is what I'm seeing and it just conflicts with everything I've read and expected.

Comment

There has been talk about hybrid being slower and actually when it first came out I reported it. I was told transferring files to my slive might be the culprit.
        Bobby Parker
        www.bobby-parker.com
        e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
        phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
        • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
        • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
        • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

That may be true but I'd love to know why a 2080ti RTX can't beat the cpu, as that seems to be the main comparison these days generally...CPU vs GPU.
          It doesn't make any sense to me but as I say, I may be missing something crucial. Thanks for chiming in in any case

Comment

feel like the 3950x is just bloody fast!

Comment

Would there be any way to actually verify that the cpu alone is beating the 2080ti (and actually the 2 cards combined)?
              If so then that would explain things. I'm not a hardware guy so no idea how to go about this, other than by observation.
              Also if it could be stated that hybrid is definitively not working as it suggests it should, then that would be good.

It would be interesting to know whether hybrid will at some point work as suggested, if the above is true.
              If it won't, then I'd say remove it from the UI as an option, as it's misleading.

On the plus side, Red Dead looks/plays awesomely on the 2080

Comment

Working...
              X