Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vray sky loses connection to light when stored in render preset.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray sky loses connection to light when stored in render preset.

If I set up a number of camera views for photo montage work, the time of day and sometimes date is different for each so I store render presets and save the environment/reflection maps (Vray skies) under the Vray tab. I usually use a direct light for the sun and do a manual connection with the vray sky but when I load the preset back in and check the Vray skies they always lose the connection and are set to 'none' meaning I have to manually re-connect. Is there a way to avoid this? (I'm on Vray 3.6)

I'd suggest checking pulze.io > scenemanager or similar render managers. This way you don't have to fiddle with render presets. You can just animate the settings of your date/time, and then choose a frame per camera for instance. Huge timesaver.
    A.

---------------------
    www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

That looks interesting but I'm not sure the association between the light and the vraysky will be any more robust, not keen on having to log into an account to use it either but I'll have a closer look.

Comment

You can always put the vray skies in dome lights and turn those on and off. Animated even. I'm wondering though why do you make manual connections with vraysky? 1 vraysky is enough for multiple sunlights, the sky will always link to the sun that is activated. If you have different values you can always animate those as well.
        Last edited by Vizioen; 06-02-2020, 11:40 AM.
        A.

---------------------
        www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Os there any way to control the time of day with that method?

Comment

You can create a daylight system, then align your sun to the system and the sun target to the compass. Then you can link them so they stay connected, you can change location with that system, date, time, timezone, etc...The vraysun will always follow. That's what I do at least, then when I have different times of day I just animate those values. You can also animate other parameters like sun size, or colors if you want. With pulze I can then choose a camera and set that camera to a certain frame. This way I have only one sun and one sky and I can switch fast between all the setups without having to do anything. Without the scene manager you just need to remember to set your camera to a certain frame every time. (also resolutions, render settings, layers, etc...)

Edit: I have made a request in the wishlist thread that the daylight system is incorporated in the vraysun, so the different systems, aligning and linking wouldn't be necessary. You can always go like my message so the developers know people are interested in this. https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...re-ideas/page4
            Last edited by Vizioen; 07-02-2020, 04:12 AM.
            A.

---------------------
            www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

OK, thanks for the ideas, I'll play around with that tomorrow and see if it works.

Comment

Working...
              X