Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vray next and 3.6 + node at the same time

hi.

our studio currently has 3x 3.6 licenses and 1x next license.

i'm about to set up a new workstation and would like to try out vray next (and project lavina) before deciding if we should upgrade the remaining licenses but i have a few questions;

1. are vray next scenes cross compatible with 3.6 (can i open and render a scene set up in next with 3.6 and vice-versa?)

2. do i need a separate vrayspawner for next and 3.6 on my render node?

3. as i understand it i can run 3.6 and next on the same workstation, but have to run them on different max versions (e.g. 3.6 on max 2019 and next on 2020)
    it is not possible to switch vray versions on the same version of max. is this correct?

4. is there anything else i've missed that would make it impractical to run different versions of vray?

thanks!

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - hunter s. thompson

1. It's best to open and render with the same V-Ray version you created the scene

2. Yes. The spawner uses the respective V-Ray's version.

3. You can use V-Ray from an arbitrary location if you want to have different V-Ray versions for the same 3dsMax version, but it has some limitations - see https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...trary+Location
    Ivan Slavchev

SysOps

Chaos Group

Comment

Project Lavina requires a generic V-Ray Next Render license when it starts. You can use Project Lavina with just one V-Ray Next license by making sure you are not rendering with V-Ray when starting Project Lavina. Once Project Lavina starts, the V-Ray Render license is available again for V-Ray to use.

- Phil
      Product Management, Chaos Group
      - Phil

VP Product Management, Chaos Group

Comment

thanks for the replies.

it's probably about time i installed max2020 anyway so i think i'll g down that route - the alternative seems a bit complex, especially as it's hopefully only for a short while.

i've installed lavina and it seems to work ok with scenes from vray3.
        when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - hunter s. thompson

Comment

Working...
        X