Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with Render to texture for live show projections.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Render to texture for live show projections.

I have a new client that does live show projections. Something I am totally new to doing.

The software they use imports the 3d model and UV data to automatically create the correct projections using unwrapped texture.
    For the next event in 2 weeks, they want to project onto a 2.5m high head model.
    So they supplied the head geo and they need a whole bunch of effects to project onto the surface. Things like insects crawling over the surface and covering it, vines growing over it etc.
    The client has been sold 3D effects of things on the surface, interacting with the geometry of the head.
    My first thought was baking the vraycompletemap in render to texture, using a project modifier similar to baking normal maps.

Now it seems to work pretty well, however as the project modifier push needs to go quite far from the mesh to include the geo of the other elements on the surface, I do run into problems around areas like the eyes and ears as the pushed sections then intersect with the base geometry.
    Is it possible to use more simplified geo to do the project onto the base geo? Or is there a different better way to do it?

Any help would be appreciated.

On side note, anyone know if any online render farms support render to texture output, as I'll need to render about 3 mins of animation.

Thanks so much.
    ​​​​​​​
    Gavin Jeoffreys
    Freelance 3D Generalist
Working...
X