No announcement yet.

Questions about rendering with buckets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about rendering with buckets.

Hi guys!

I'm trying to put together some tips when it comes to setting up buckets in V-ray for 3ds Max. I run a lot of tests and during the process, some questions emerged.

- Is there any algorithm or a rule for when exactly dynamic buckets splitting is turned on? I mean when the buckets start to be divided into smaller ones.

- Which kind of assets are loaded to memory per bucket (especially with BF+BF) rendering?

- What is the real maximum bucket size for V-Ray? I tried with 1024 and it was automatically rounded to 1000, but I noticed that it didn't render as 1000x1000 for sure it looked rather like 500x500. I rendered 6Kx6K still image.

- If I have a scene that consists only a plane with 3D displacement applied, "static geometry" used and it takes let's say 60GB from 126 GB on the computer, is the geometry data loaded again to the buckets themselves before rendering this particular bucket?

If someone would like to help me with finding answers for these questions it would be great.
    Last edited by Matt_GF; 28-02-2020, 04:57 PM.
    Cheers
    Matt

GarageFarm.NET - The Cheapest Render Farm - 20,000 cores and growing!
    Xesktop - Powerful GPU servers for rental
    3DBee.IT - 3D asset store with integrated application

Hi!

- Is there any algorithm or a rule for when exactly dynamic buckets splitting is turned on? I mean when the buckets start to be divided into smaller ones.
    When the number of remaining buckets gets less than double the number of rendering threads, the remaining buckets are split.

- Which kind of assets are loaded to memory per bucket (especially with BF+BF) rendering?
    Dynamic geometry (f.e. proxies, displacement with "static geometry" off) and tiled bitmaps (.exr and .tx) but they're not loaded just for a bucket. Geometry and bitmap parts are loaded when requested to a global cache so only the ones requested by the current buckets are loaded. Already loaded ones can be used by other buckets too.

- What is the real maximum bucket size for V-Ray? I tried with 1024 and it was automatically rounded to 1000, but I noticed that it didn't render as 1000x1000 for sure it looked rather like 500x500. I rendered 6Kx6K still image.
    It's limited to 1000x1000 in the UI but I don't think there's a limit internally. Probably the dynamic splitting kicked in from the first bucket.

- If I have a scene that consists only a plane with 3D displacement applied, "static geometry" used and it takes let's say 60GB from 126 GB on the computer, is the geometry data loaded again to the buckets themselves before rendering this particular bucket?
    No, the data is shared.
    Radoslav Platikanov | V-Ray R&D

Comment

Working...
    X