Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Normal map - how to use with Vray Material?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Normal map - how to use with Vray Material?

Hi there,
    simple question:
    When I plug a normal Map into a Bump slot of the VrayMaterial, where can I adjust the input (Tangent space, normal or bump-mode etc.)
    In Maya there is a field, where I adjust this, I can't find it in 3ds Max.

Thanks

You will need to plug that texture into Vray Normal Map first before connecting it to the bump slot.
    https://docs.chaosgroup.com/m/mobile...#page/38571596

​​​​​​You could also use Max Standard Normal map (enable show incompatibile maps to see it) to have more control over tangent /world space, but that's not recommended as per the log messages even though personally I prefer it for some cases .
    Last edited by M.Max; 23-03-2020, 05:32 PM.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Simply, I love to put pixels together! Sounds easy right : ))
    Sketchbook-1 /Sketchbook-2 / Behance / Facebook

Comment

What M.Max said. Plug your normal map into VRayNormalMap, then plug it into the bump map slot in you material. You can control the intensity of your normal/bump map in the "Maps" rollout of you VRayMtl (it's the last rollout). By default the intensity is set to 30 I believe

Also, depending where you got your normal map from you might need to flip the green channel. You can do so in the VRayNormalMap

Edit: additionally, according to the documentation Max just shared, "The VRayNormalMap texture assumes that any normal textures are in tangent UV space"
      Last edited by ThomasMiller; 24-03-2020, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X