Refraction Exit Color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refraction Exit Color

Ok, I've read over the other posts on this topic, and they haven't really been helpful. I used exit color (not to get any glass effect as the one post talks about) all the time as if I made it a bright green for example, then it was very easy to tweak the max depth to determine an appropriate value without going to a crazy large value. I understand it's gone now, although I don't understand why. A work around would be helpful. thanx

Yes, the Exit color option is not available anymore. Could you post a screenshot/scene with your exit color use case, just to be sure we are on the same page?
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Here's an example that I could quickly put my hands on. You can see how I'm using bright green to determine the refraction max depth. You can see the difference between 5, 10 and 20. This isn't the best example, as I often have more complicated glass shapes that might have little "bits" within them that require very high values to clear up, I've had to go to 75 on occasion. I hope this makes sense.
      Attached Files

Comment

Understood. The Exit Color is not available in the UI but can be accessed through MaxScript. Use the following code to activate it and change its color:
        Code:
        mtl=meditmaterials[1]
        mtl.refraction_useExitColor=true
        mtl.refraction_exitColor=(color 0 255 0)
        The number in brackets [1] is the material position in Max's compact material editor.

Comment

Thank-you for the quick response. It seems to work perfectly. Except when the material is a multisub material. It still works but the color instead of green is magenta, and I get this script error. I'm not a scripting guy, so I don't really know what it means. But.I'm ok with this unless it's an easy fix at your end. Thanx again. I imagine this will help out some other users who brought this issue up in other threads. --ds

#Multi/Sub-Object:Plastic(1:VRayMtl:Plastic, 2:VRayMtl:Plastic Lighter bottom)
          -- Error occurred in anonymous codeblock; filename: ; position: 56; line: 2
          -- Unknown property: "refraction_useExitColor" in #Multi/Sub-Object:Plastic(1:VRayMtl:Plastic, 2:VRayMtl:Plastic Lighter bottom)
          -- MAXScript callstack:
          -- thread data: threadID:12608
          -- ------------------------------------------------------
          -- [stack level: 0]
          -- In top-level
          -- Error occurred in anonymous codeblock; filename: ; position: 97; line: 3
          -- Unknown property: "refraction_exitColor" in #Multi/Sub-Object:Plastic(1:VRayMtl:Plastic, 2:VRayMtl:Plastic Lighter bottom)
          -- MAXScript callstack:
          -- thread data: threadID:12608
          -- ------------------------------------------------------
          -- [stack level: 0]
          -- In top-level

Comment

The script works for VRayMtls only. To work for Multi/Sub-object materials, run the code for the individual VRayMtl sub-materials.

Comment

Working...
            X