3DMAX 2021 Gamma/Lut different than 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3DMAX 2021 Gamma/Lut different than 2019

Hello. We have a problem with 3DMAX 2021/VRAY, We have the same values in 2019/2021, is the same scene and materials. The problem is in 3d2021 some materials appear more dark than 3dMax2019.

You can see the problen in viewport and Render mode.

We have the same values in CurrentDefault.ini file.

Thanks!!!.

Hm, this doesn't seem like a V-Ray problem (the Bitmap texture itself seems to produce a different result), but can you post your scene so that we can take a look?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Have you tried to see if for some reason their gamma was reset to 1?
      I mean clicking on the file path, selecting the image, and checking if it had a forced gamma, which may have been reset.

If you think it could be us, would you be so kind as to send a (piece of the) scene to support?

Click image for larger version

Name:	gamma.png
Views:	1066
Size:	282.9 KB
ID:	1067248
      Lele
      Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
      ----------------------
      emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
      The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

We think the same, is a MAX problem. No problem, we going to prepare the scene and it will send you for mail.
        Thanks to everyone. support@chaosgroup.com emanuele.lecchi@chaosgroup.com.

Comment

I think there could be a way to figure it out simply: try anbd convert all loaders to vrayhdri ones (there is a right-mouse menu entry for it), without converting to TX/EXR.
          The script ought to reread the bitmaps' gamma, and set it manually (instead of going through the max LUT/Gamma system) in the loader.
          Lele
          ----------------------

Disclaimer:
          The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

There`s also a script Pixamoon Gamma Organiser that converts scene-wide gamma settings. Need to register a turbosquid account for the free/lite version. Presume it still works with 2021 although not tried it. https://www.turbosquid.com/FullPrevi...erral=pixamoon

Comment

In our compañy normally we use this workspace for the gamma

[Gamma]
              DisplayGamma=2.200000
              InputGamma=1
              OutputGamma=1

The problem is 3DMAX has changed the way to import the textures when you use a bitmap.

In 2019 is you put automatic (independently the texture workSpace) always, in 3dmax imports the texture in linear workSpace (because we have this option in the currentDefaults.ini), and later you change the gamma with a color correction or another method.

In 2020/2021 changes, if the texture that you import is linear no problems, automatic method runs correctly, but the problem if you import a texture with gamma 2.2, automatic discard the IMPUT GAMMA that you have in the "INI FILE" and put the value that the texture has.

We need to override the value to 1 if the texture has a 2.2 gamma.

Comment

ouch.
                Did you try with VRayHDRIs?
                Lele
                ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

In theory with VrayHdri runs correctly because use a LinearWorkSpace. The problem is in our company we have a lot of objects with bitmap/color correction..., this problem only appers if you create a new material, old materils don´y have this problems when you load a scene.

We have two solution;

- Override to 1 if your texture was save to 2.2.
                  - Use VrayHdri for load the bitmap.

We continuing inventigate it for try to discover a better solution.

Thanks for all.

Comment

Well, look at the bright side: once you know which way you're going to fix it, you'll be able to script your way out of it.
                    Lele
                    ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

, I don´t undertand why Autodesk Changes something like that?, for me is a dangerous change. It´s like to Unreal, few months ago implemented some changes about WorkSpace in the Textures. They are driving me crazy, jejejeje.

Comment

Working...
                      X