Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• specular reflections through refracting mesh

Hi
    Please take a look at the attached image. I have a transparent refracting circular mesh in front of the objects. The mesh is perpendicular to the camera at its edges. So if you look at the edge of the wooden bookcase, you can see the edge is straight - there is zero refraction at the edge of the circular mesh. But the specular highlights of the wood are not being refracted. Why is this and how can I fix it?

Attached Files

Could you send the scene to support@chaosgroup.com so we can take a look? Mention this thread in the e-mail along with your V-Ray and host platform versions.
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Thanks for the provided scene. The reason for the lack of reflections is the way "Fresnel Reflections" (for the bookshelf material) works when using single-sided refractive objects. When activated and viewed through single-sided refractive planes, V-Ray assumes that the object is inside another object, correcting the IOR. This can be avoided by either using a "Shell" modifier on the glass or disabling the bookshelf's fresnel reflections and plugging a Falloff map set to Fresnel mode in the reflection slot.

Comment

Thank you!
        I will try that right away.

Comment

It isn't working unfortunately. I've inserted an image. The top is with Fresnel Reflections disabled and a falloff map in the reflection slot. The lower part is a very thin shell.
          Can you get it to work there?

Thanks
          Mark

Comment

Aleksandar, apologies. In my haste I was applying the falloff to the transparent material, not the bookcase. The line disappears when I edit the bookcase material.
            The effect of a falloff map in the reflection slot is a little different from from the "Fresnel reflections" checkbox effect. What kind of Fresnel profile is applied with that check box?

Thanks
            Mark

Comment

Yes, the effect is slightly different because V-Ray uses its own calculation methods for fresnel. Read more information about the matter in this topic.

Comment

Thanks.
                A falloff in the reflection slot is fine for the scene I'm making.

Comment

Working...
                X