Flashing with light cache

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flashing with light cache

So I'm banging my head against the wall trying to get rid of the flashing in this animation at the bottom of the teeth. I've tried increasing the settings to the ones you see below and it is just as bad as when the settings were lower. I thought it may be the displacement on the teeth, but the tool isn't displaced and it is also flashing. Could it be the AA? Is there another setting I'm missing? Maybe a magical Stop Flashing button? Please help.

My settings:

and the video can be viewed at:
    http://demo.dentistryonline.com/nmdg...h_flashing.wmv

Thanks in advance for you help.

I only see flashes on the groundplane?
    How did you model that? sometimes I get this when i use extrusion with a 0 value.
    See what happens when you change it to a editable poly.

Comment

Are you sure that it is the light cache that flashes, and not the irradiance map? Try to render a few frames with irradiance map only, and see if you still get flickering. If yes - the problem is in the irradiance map. If not, then you can try to increase the light cache subdivs.

Also, if the camera is the only thing that moves in your scene, you can try to precalculate the light cache and the irradiance map for the entire animation - in this case you will not have any flickering at all.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Wow, very quick responses, thank you.

Joost, it is an editable poly, so I don't think that's it.

vlado, I will try a render without light cache and see what happens. I'm afraid I can't use the precache method since eventually the teeth will be moving so I'm stuck with single frame calculation.

Comment

Well after rendering without light cache on it is not flashing. So I can only assume it's the light cache. Any other suggestions?

Comment

A couple things that have worked for me is to

1.) Under "calculation perameters" change scale to "world"
            2.) Change "mode" to "fly around"
            3.) Save to file. This way you are calculating it once and incrementally adding to it (similar to I-map).
            "A severed foot would make the ultimate stocking stuffer"
            -Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Increase the subdivs for the Light cache. Also, try the "Screen" mode instead of "World".

Best regards,
              Vlado
              I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
              X