Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to exclude object from vrayenvironmentfog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to exclude object from vrayenvironmentfog?

Pretty much the title.

What we are running into is that we have an object that is invisible to the camera as it's a helper to create a darker material based on a vraydirt blend material. It's a road and we are using the helper to create the "dirt" lines from where the tires are.

The only issue remaining is that it remains visible to the vrayenvironmentfog....We've looked online and tried different object property settings but maybe (...probably) we've missed something.

Anyone know if it's possible?

Could you attach the simplified scene here so we can take a look (or send it to support@chasogroup.com with a link to this thread)? Mention your V-Ray and host platform versions as well.
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Hi,

Will send it in a minute. Thanks!

Comment

Hi,

Sent the file. Was too big for the forum.

Anyway, realized that it works fine for a poly object. In my file it was set up as a railclone and that gives the error. I've added a railclone to the file which also gives the issue. Adding a poly edit modifier to the RC fixes it.

So for me it's fixed now, but maybe interesting to see for you guys in regards to the RC.

Forgot:
        3ds max 2018
        Vray Next
        Last edited by dean_dmoo; 26-06-2020, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Interesting. Did you have Use VRay Instances turned on in Rail Clone? I wonder if it is related.

Comment

Originally posted by Joelaff View Post
            Interesting. Did you have Use VRay Instances turned on in Rail Clone? I wonder if it is related.
            Not that I know of. Didn't realise there was a vray specific setting. Everything is just the base RC settings in a linear array.

Comment

The setting is actually now called Use Instancing Engine. (I am talking Rc Pro, not sure about the free one). I think it is on by default.

It's a cool setting. When it is turned off RC creates a single chunk of geometry at render time. This can take up a lot of RAM of course if it has a lot of detail. With the instances enabled it instances your source objects as VRay instances, which don't load until they accessed for rendering by a particular bucket (or GI ray, reflection, etc.) This uses less memory, but is usually slower.

I am sure the Chaos folks will see it, but you might try turning that off and see if it helps. By putting an Edit Poly on top of the RC object you force it to convert the whole thing to one geometry object at render time. Again, more memory, but typically faster. Though faster still to just turn off Use Instancing Engine.

Comment

dean_dmoo Thanks for the provided scene. The only reason the RailClone array is still visible in the fog is the disabled "Apply Atmospherics" option. Enable it to get the correct result.
                Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
                Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Ah ok, Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X