Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rendering Background Images - In Vray5 "Visible to GI" and "Visible to Reflection" don't work as intended.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rendering Background Images - In Vray5 "Visible to GI" and "Visible to Reflection" don't work as intended.

​ Good Morning!

I've just updated to Vray 5 and I've noticed an issue.

I was used to follow this workflow when i had to use a background image to place outside the windows.
    It was a simple trick, but it was effective. Now it doesn't work anymore, or at least not as it was working before.

This is my setup:
    - Vray Dome with a Vray Sky linked inside and a Vray Sun to illuminate the scene.
    - For the background outside the windows I use a simple Plane with a Vray material.
    - To let the Vray Sun come through the Background Plane : uncheck "Receive shadows" and "Cast shadows" in the Object properties
    - To let the light and the reflections of the Vray Sky come through the Background Plane: uncheck "Visible to GI" and "Visibile to Reflections" in the Vray Properties

Doing this, i was used to see the background i wanted outside the windows, without any interaction of it with the lighting. Like if there wasn't any plane outside.

After updating to Vray 5 I've noticed that the Visible to GI and Visible to Reflection don't work like before.

Same .max file, same options enabled. As you can see the reflections and the lights are blocked by the plane.

Now the Background Plane reflects itslef on the scene objects , blocking the Sky light , even if the options mentioned before are unchecked. Like if it wasn't "perfectly transparent to reflection rays" (as described in Chaos Group Help).

I'm attaching 2 images to help understand the problem.

VRAY 5 : WITHOUT background - More light, more Reflection( white reflection) on the table and on the floor
    (in Vray 4 i achieved the same result even with the background outside)

Click image for larger version

Name:	WITHOUT BACKGROUND.jpg
Views:	1882
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	1090483
    VRAY 5 : WITH BACKGROUND - Less light, less reflection (white reflection) on the table and on the floor

Click image for larger version

Name:	WITH BACKGROUND.jpg
Views:	1778
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	1090484

Any advice? Anyone using this method and experienced the same problem?
    How do you place background images in your work?
    Thanks in Advance.

VirtualDesign​
    Last edited by VirtualDesign; 03-11-2020, 06:54 AM.

Hi, it seems something has messed up with the file attachments. Would it be possible to forward them once again or directly send your sample scene to support@chaosgroup.com (make sure to mention this thread in the email) so we can have a better look? Thanks!
    Nikoleta Garkova | chaos.com

Comment

Originally posted by nikoleta.garkova View Post
      Hi, it seems something has messed up with the file attachments. Would it be possible to forward them once again or directly send your sample scene to support@chaosgroup.com (make sure to mention this thread in the email) so we can have a better look? Thanks!
      Sure, as soon as i have a free moment I will send you a sample scene to show you the problem!
      Thank you in advance!

Virtual Design

Comment

I just tested to confirm but it all is working as expected for me.
        I can't see you're examples for some reason but I'm bored, so can test a simple scene if you upload it
        https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

Originally posted by fixeighted View Post
          I just tested to confirm but it all is working as expected for me.
          I can't see you're examples for some reason but I'm bored, so can test a simple scene if you upload it
          Here you are! max file and 2 previews with and without the background....
          Maybe in this Sample Scene the two different results are not so noteworthy but still there is a difference, in other scene is more visible.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9fapafwge...ygXD0hPha?dl=0
          (here it is the dropbox link to download it if you have problems with the attachment)

VirtualDesign
          Attached Files
          Last edited by VirtualDesign; 03-11-2020, 07:56 AM.

Comment

bad link I'm afraid, so can't d/l

Comment

bad link I'm afraid, so can't d/l
              I updated the last post with a dropbox link to download the scene

Comment

I couldn't get it to work in your scene. My test was admittedly far simpler and had no glass.

I merged your geometry to a clean scene and switched to an hdri and the problem went away as far as I can see.
                So it is the Vray sky that is the problem and looks like a bug imho, or a limitation which I can't find mention of in any docs.
                In my merged scene I did replace the hdr with a default sky in this clean scene, to confirm, and the issue returned.

Comment

The correct setup should be "Cast shadows" OFF and a self-illuminated VRayMtl material with the background, like on the attached screengrab. Nothing else should be needed.

I will check your scene too.

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by vlado; 04-11-2020, 04:08 AM.
                  I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

As per the previous post, if I revert all V-Ray object properties to their defaults and only turn off the "Cast shadows" option for the plane, I get the expected result. I also set the diffuse color of the "Background" material to black, and enabled the "Compensate camera exposure" setting for the self-illumination.

Best regards,
                    Vlado
                    Attached Files
                    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

If I understood correctly, VirtualDesign doesn't want the background to be in reflections, or to contribute to GI.
                      He just wants it as a background in the scene, so not to affect it in any way at all.
                      He wants the lighting to come just from the sun/sky.

Comment

If I understood correctly, VirtualDesign doesn't want the background to be in reflections, or to contribute to GI.
                        He just wants it as a background in the scene, so not to affect it in any way at all.
                        He wants the lighting to come just from the sun/sky.
                        Exactly!

Anyway thanks for your time and your help!!!
                        Every comment and every advice is really appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                          The correct setup should be "Cast shadows" OFF and a self-illuminated VRayMtl material with the background, like on the attached screengrab. Nothing else should be needed.

I will check your scene too.

Best regards,
                          Vlado
                          Thanks for you time Vlado!

I was used to switch off just "Cast Shadows" (and " Receive Shadows" aswell because otherwise if the sun comes from behind it projects itself on the background, bringing with its own light also the shadows of the buildings etc)...

BUT during the last years I've noticed that the "pure" light coming from the Vray Sky was partially blocked by the backgrounds.
                          So I decided to adopt the workflow explained in the first post.

Imho, most of the times the background isn't part of the real 3D world (if u don't use a real HDRI with a real backplate),
                          it's just a fake picture placed outside to give an idea of the place where your scene should be set... So it shouldn't influence the overall lighting.
                          And the only way to do this was to switch off also the "Visible to GI" and "Visible to relfections" options.

Obviously is just my personal workflow, and probably it's not the best one...but it was working

Cheers,
                          VirtualDesign

(and sorry for my -not so perfect- English )

Comment

Working...
                          X