Need Help getting a clear-ish box to render

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help getting a clear-ish box to render

I am hoping to get some help with a render.

The first image ("original") shows a box that I am trying to recreate. I am looking for the clear-ish (maybe slightly gray) box with the outlined edges. The second image has been my first test using vRayFastSSS2.mtl.

I like the box, but I am really not sure if its possible to get the outlined edges look.

Any help would be awesome! Thanks!

Should be simple enough with Vray toon outlines and whatever material you choose for the walls
    https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

You may also experiment with the VRayEdgesTex.
      Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
      Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Originally posted by aleksandar.hadzhiev View Post
        You may also experiment with the VRayEdgesTex.
        Originally posted by fixeighted View Post
        Should be simple enough with Vray toon outlines and whatever material you choose for the walls
        Would either of you be able to provide a link to a tutorial on how those materials are used? Google?

EDIT: Found it on Chaos Group site! Thank you both!
        Last edited by michael_johnson; 04-12-2020, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Follow up: I feel like I am close! I am not sure how to get all the box lines to be highlighted. Even the interior ones.

Suggestions?

Comment

You will need to make sure you check the box for 'do reflections/refractions' and that should do it. I'm not sure why you are using SSS for this, as refraction with ior of 1 will probably be enough
            unless you want the sss for some other reason.
            You can have multiple entries of Vray toon and set each to have a different thickness, as I did here. You use the exclude list to determine which object has which line thickness, so e.g. box A is 2 pixels, exclude all else, bo B etc. etc.
            Other than that you can play with maps in the slots to change the line appearance

There are other methods of achieving different looks, if you don't get what you want from toon, though it looks like it should be sufficient.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by fixeighted; 04-12-2020, 09:13 AM.

Comment

You will need to make sure you check the box for 'do reflections/refractions' and that should do it. I'm not sure why you are using SSS for this, as refraction with ior of 1 will probably be enough
              unless you want the sss for some other reason.
              You can have multiple entries of Vray toon and set each to have a different thickness, as I did here. You use the exclude list to determine which object has which line thickness, so e.g. box A is 2 pixels, exclude all else, bo B etc. etc.
              Other than that you can play with maps in the slots to change the line appearance

There are other methods of achieving different looks, if you don't get what you want from toon, though it looks like it should be sufficient.
              So just use a standard VrayMTL in lieu of the SSS? I went with SSS as a tutorial from Chaos Group suggested. No other reason. I also have the object properties VIZ property set to .25 under the Rendering Control properties...not sure if this is needed either.
              Last edited by michael_johnson; 07-12-2020, 09:00 AM.

Comment

If it is as simple as it appears, then yes I'd say use a simple shader and use refraction of 1.0 and make it as transparent as you like.
                You don't really need to use visibility then, just control it from the shader.

Comment

Just try and made a video about this, follow fixeighted guide, it work very well.

Edit: video error using the youtube wrap
                  Edit2: just firgure out how to post youtube video with the youtube wrap.
                  Last edited by jackieteh; 07-12-2020, 11:02 PM.
                  Best regards,
                  Jackie Teh
                  --

3ds max design 2023, V-Ray 6, Update 2.1 [6.20.07 build 32575]
                  AMD Threadripper 1950X @3.40 GHz | 64GB RAM | Nvidia RTX 3070 ti
                  Email: info@sporadicstudio.com
                  YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/SporadicStudio

Comment

Working...
                  X