Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How on earth do i render multi layred EXR files???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How on earth do i render multi layred EXR files???

I have literally never been able to do this properly. There is always something going wrong. right now i cannot get any data out of them from after effects and i'm not sure if i'm even rendering multi EXR files. also the crypto mattes are always jagged and don't work in after effects either.

Can i please get the exact method for rendering a sequence of multi layed EXR files with a working cryptomatte that can be extracted in After Effects?

Thank you!

Save them from Render Setup/V-Ray/Frame buffer/V-Ray raw image file: just change the format from vrimg to exr. From my tests cryptomatte gets corrupted if you use OptinsRE and any kind of compression, at least in V-Ray 3. In AE use the EXtractoR plugin (should come with AE, or you can download it from https://www.fnordware.com/OpenEXR/ ) to extract the chanel you need and add the "color profile conferter" effect and tick the check box "Linearize Input Profile" to fix the gama that gets messed up by the EXtractoR.
    Hope this helps

Comment

Thanks for the reply. That's exactly what i've been trying but extractor doesn't see cryptomattes in there. When i used to use redshift i would have to render the cryptomatte seperatly and use the cryptomatte plugin on it to reveal it, very simple. don't know how to do this with Vray and a multilayered EXR?

Comment

Cryptomatte is a separate AE effect you need to add to the footage. It should work even on a pass extracted with "EXtractoR". The "Cryptomatte" effect should be in the "3D Channel" folder in the "Effects & Presets" tab in AE.

Comment

that's how i've always done it, it never seems to find any data when coming from Vray

Comment

lukepenry Then it might be something specific to your scene or render setup that's breaking the cryptomatte. Is it working in a simple scene like a plane with a couple of primitives ? You should write to support with details of your problem, max/v-ray version and a scene that exibits the problem, they will be able to help you.

Comment

Could you attach a scene where the issue is present or send one via the contact form here so we can take a look? Mention this thread in the message along with your V-Ray and host platform versions.
              Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
              Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
              X