Vray5max and specular reflections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray5max and specular reflections

I have been experimenting with vray5 and besides the "unlocked glossy materials" errors (solved) I am experiencing some issues or most likely "new processes" with the lights and materials and wondering if anyone else has run into these.
    It would appear that any light that has specular turned on now in 5, will show up clearly in reflections when glossy is set to .98 and below. In prior versions it was not that overpowering so all my old scenes have lights in the reflection using 5. The solution seems to be either turning off specular or keeping glossy at 1.0 and adjusting the new "coat parameters" to get a soft blur, which kind of works, but is sloppy if you use a VrayRefelction Element for post. I'm guessing I just need to get used to new material settings and there is no quick and easy way to correct this with older files.
    Anyone else experience this with 5?

Hi yeeha68

With V-Ray Next, Update 3.1 some improvements in regards to reflections were introduced. You can read more in the following forum post. This was done to improve physical accuracy and is thoroughly explained here as well. As you already observed, it depends on the glossiness value of the material. Anything with clear reflections (i.e. glossy 1) will be controlled with Affect Reflections, else, Affect Specular should suffice. Specular layer currently contains all the reflections + specular from direct light sources.

Hope that makes it more clear.
    Nikoleta Garkova | chaos.com

Comment

Thank you for the reply and that link. That makes so much more sense now. I figured that was the case but wanted to be sure.

Comment

Working...
      X