Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1.09 and 1.47 speed issue (with same scene/settings)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.09 and 1.47 speed issue (with same scene/settings)

Hi all,
    I am doing an external render (max6+1.09) but began to get coloured spots on my render, 'over bright material' warnings so I decided I'd try the same scene in 1.47.02. I opened the file and began rendering, no coloured spots on render but it took nearly twice as long
    I have read in some posts here that 1.45.xx (upwards) can be slower than 1.09 when rendering, but I think this is when you use the default settings in 1.45+.

In my case the HSph Subdivs, Interp SubDivs etc are the same in 1.47 as in the scene that is rendered out in 1.09. I can't post settings at the mo (at home and not in office) but I have to post thread tonite and get help as deadline looming. 1.47 did'nt look as sharp.

Then after reverting to 1.09 version I ran the VrayPM so as to save my settings, converted all mats to standard and set scanline as the renderer. Saved the file are reset. Reopened the file, set vray as the renderer, reconverted all mats to Vray and called up the preset. Hit render and the spots are gone, But its way too bright, brighter than it should be (and the Vray Messenger window says I have 2 scene lights, but I dont I only have 1 light, unhid, unfroze everthing so as to find this extra light) I've wasted a day on this file (Could be worse i guess) but tomorrow I ma faced with a file that seems to be rendering out too bright and supposedly had 2 lights (I swear there is only one in my scene)
    any ideas would be great,
    Thanks a mill,
    TOm
    Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

Hi Tom,
    Can't help you with the general settings at this stage, as I'm still on 1.09 myself, but don't forget that VRay GI (skylight) will register as one light, and then if you have a Direct light for sun (I'm assuming as it's an external scene), that will be your second scene light.

From what I can gather, the settings in 1.45 onwards can be lower than they were in 1.09 (see vince1972s post in this section), which will bring the render times down with a little tweaking.

Good luck!

Andrew.
    -Andrew

Andrew Martin Visualisation

Comment

If you open a 1.09 scene in 1.47 the settings willl be too high. Like the subdivs for glossies and the QMC is at 50, in 1.47 this can be as low as 8. So try lowering that.
      ALso you can use less Hsph and interp samples as well to get similar results for your IR map.

This will be your main problem in terms of slowness.

Simply put, You can open a 1.09 scene in 1.46/1.47 and have it render at the same speed. You MUST make changes to the settings for it to render in similar speed in the 1.46/1.47.

There are plenty of threads around about this

Comment

great that all makes sense guys,

@ Armilla "don't forget that VRay GI (skylight) will register as one light," I admit it I feel like a complete muppet

@DaForce, ahh ha, I understand, I thought Hsph & interp were same in same accross builds, that explains the time issue I had,

Thanks again,
        Tom

Comment

tom182:

As a good rule of thumb for quick scene conversions. from 1.09 to 1.47
          Assuming default parameters.
          Material glossy subdivs, change from 50 to 8
          Quasi Monte Carlo (as in seconday bounce) change from 50 subdivs to 8
          IR Map Hsph and interp, lower by say 20-50% depending on scene.
          Ahhh.. there is more but i cant think of it right now.. haha
          But thats a good start to have an immediate impact on lowering your render time on older scenes.

Good luck

Comment

very helpfull info Daforce,
            unfortunately I am under such time constraints at the mo I havent got too much time to go playing with different settings, I am going to use 1.47 as I am currently using 1.09 and still getting those freakin colour spots Hence your rule of thumbs are very welcome, I have to get this out the door today.
            Cheers,
            Tom

Comment

Working...
            X