Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Point Cloud sRGB

Hi,

I need to render some pointclouds imported from Autodesk ReCap. When I get them into max they look perfect on screen.

When I render them they look washed out, switching off the sRGB curve in the frame buffer displays the colours correctly There are no lights in my scene

I need to render the scene with other objects created in Max. Is there a way to change the colours in the point cloud or it's material

I'm using Max 2021 and VRay Next

-Garry
    Garry Clarke
    Technical Illustrator
    www.garryclarke.com

Can you get the RGB channel of the point cloud to run through and output node somehow? You could change the gamma in there to 2.2 or 0.54

Comment

Also I can't get the Pointcloud to stop casting shadows. Even if the light is set to ignore the point cloud it still casts shadows.

If I apply A VRay material to it it's fine (But I loose the RGB data, which is important).

Is there anyway to keep the RGB and retain the features of a VRay material (properties etc)
      Garry Clarke
      Technical Illustrator
      www.garryclarke.com

Comment

Would you have a piece of that PC to share?
        Lele
        Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
        ----------------------
        emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

I tried to do this a while back but could find no way to get the results I wanted with Vray.
          This is an old post about the same issue...still unresolved https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...loud-rendering
          https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

Hi Lele,

I've sent you a link to the Point Cloud.

Thanks
            Garry Clarke
            Technical Illustrator
            www.garryclarke.com

Comment

Sent you the file.
              In general you'll need a "VrayPointCloudColor" texture to pick up the PC color, and then you'll want to feed that to a V-Ray shader of your choice (VrayMtl, LightMtl, PointParticleMtl).
              Any issue with gamma, can then be cured with a CC node, if needs be, after the VrayPointCloudColor texture.
              Seemingly, with a v-ray material assigned to the PC, shadowing exclusion from the light works fine as well (i forgot to mention this in the message i sent you.).
              Lele
              ----------------------

Disclaimer:
              The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Hi Lele,

Thanks for the input that seems like what I need.

However I don't have "VrayPointCloudColor" so I think that I need VRay 5 to get this to work (I'm still using VRay Next)

This could be the excuse that I need to upgrade.

-Garry
                Garry Clarke
                Technical Illustrator
                www.garryclarke.com

Comment

Argh, i didn't realise that that was the case.
                  I promise, i wasn't trying to get you to buy V.5.
                  Not like i'd be complaining if you did... ^^
                  Lele
                  ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Cool that it works now though
                    https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

Hi,

No problem upgrading to VRay 5, it was always going to happen, just a case of when.

Thanks for looking into this for me.

-Garry
                      Garry Clarke
                      Technical Illustrator
                      www.garryclarke.com

Comment

I also had washed out colors. I only created a VRayMaterial with VRayPointCloudColor in the Diffuse slot and played arround with the values. In my case (a LAS Pointcloud with RGB values) I got a render which was very near to the viewport colors when I changed the "Output amount" to 1,3 and the "RGB-Offset" to -0,25
                        Workstation: Ryzen 9 5950x @ 4,20GHz 64 GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro P5000, Win10 Prof.<br>Rendernode: AMD Threadripper 2990wx 64 GB RAM, Win 10 Prof. MAX 2021.3, VRay 5 hotfix2, ForestPack, RailClone, RichDirt, KStudio ProjectManager....

Comment

Working...
                        X