No announcement yet.

Vray Displacement Mod + Distance Tex smoothing uv issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ye dimpling is down to me baking this as "self illumination". Before we had big boxes we couldn't get rid of which is now fixed.

Im pretty sure I can fix the dimpling by rendering a "complete map" which will render smooth and no low light noise on bake. Then add bump a bump map to add dimples if needed.

Im 99% that's what causes that.

Comment

Ok so the noise is coming from the baking of the DistanceTex in the self illumination slot. Am i doing that correctly? I have some experience with Baking textures. Maybe i need to turn of GI here? GI is off on the texture though.

Work flow.

Domelight in scene. Distance text plugged in to Vray MTL Self illumination slot, Render to Texture and then selecting VraySelfIllumination slot, renting out as exr.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Dimpling.JPG Views:	0 Size:	76.0 KB ID:	1102509

Comment

I managed to get rid of the noise in the black part by setting the element background colour to black, in the render to tex dialogue, then turning the lights off.
        The white parts were still a bit noisy but less so.
        Setting a low noise threshold should help with those whiter parts but my test crashed whilst doing that and I can't do it all again today lol

Hopefully those bits will improve your version though
        https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

Sure thing. I have something to go on here. Thank you for your tips here. Very kind.

Comment

Ok final post for the night.

I have baked a map from DistanceTex as a 32bit Tiff. Linked that in to the displacemap and still get the same results.

Image map blur down to 0.01, which gives the dimples on subdiv mode. Also 3D mapping mode i get dimples when image map blue is on 1. So both Vray Displacement modes are still causing the blur from the bigger map now too.

Here is the Tiff I have made which looks super smooth to me but still causing issues. Depending on the blur amounts also, we get the block back.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/410pk91gti...onMap.tif?dl=0

So here we go...
            Subdiv Vray Displace using the new Tiff result
            Click image for larger version  Name:	Subdiv mode (2).JPG Views:	0 Size:	425.7 KB ID:	1102532

&

3Dmapping Vray Displace using the new Tiff result

Click image for larger version  Name:	3D mapping mode.JPG Views:	0 Size:	418.5 KB ID:	1102533
            Have nice weekends everyone
            Last edited by Kevinb; 12-02-2021, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Im on to something.

I placed the 32 bit image into the Vray HDRI node.

Interpolation Biquadratic
              Filtering Isotropic

and SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTH happens using the TIFF.
              Post up the render in a mo.

Comment

Happy Days. I have my pipeline using VrayDisplace. Vray HDRI gives more filtering options which worked. I just need to work on other maps now and im there.

Thanks to everyone for your input this week. Its been very helpful.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	978.4 KB
ID:	1102540

Comment

Cool. Glad it worked out. Looks tasty
                  https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

Working...
                  X