Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VRay rendering time analysis tool or statistic report?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRay rendering time analysis tool or statistic report?

Hello guys, you probably all have the same experiences. When you just started a blank scene with a teapot, the rendering is very snappy. When you add more and more blurry reflections, environment fog, mesh lights, and other stuff, the rendering / IPR takes longer and longer to even see anything. At a certain point, IPR just becomes unbearable to use.

I understand that offline rendering is not as time-sensitive as video game design, but rendering time is still pretty important for most of us who can't afford to have 10 RTX 3090 in our computer. Just for brainstorming, in the video game industry, some common tools are often used to analyze how many milliseconds within a frame it takes to render diffuse pass, GI pass or post effects. So developers can figure out how to reduce the render time of each frame and increase the frame rate.

Is there any analysis tool or statistic report to show how VRay's rendering time is spent on an image, so that we can also optimize the render time as well? It would even be better if VRay can visualize the image based on the level of time consumption of each pixel, just like the cache viewer in the old days. That will be super helpful.

Here attached some screenshots from the Unreal rendering analysis tool.

Performance profiling

Click image for larger version

Name:	gpuvis_32ms.png
Views:	388
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	1108947

Name:	session_frontend_profiler.png
Views:	376
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	1108949

Name:	stat_gpu.png
Views:	486
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	1108946

View Modes to help identify which areas in the viewport will be more expensive to render:

Name:	ViewModes.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	1108948
    VRay Cache Riewer:

Name:	3dee.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	1108950

Can anyone offer some insight, please?

Comment

Can someone please tell me if my question is too dumb?

Comment

Maybe the "Stats" tab (next to Layers) is what you're looking for. It is located in the VFB2 next to the Layers tab and is available after rendering.
        Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

You can also add a VRayRenderTime render element; it works in bucket mode and can tell you how many milliseconds each pixel took.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by hermit.crab View Post
            Maybe the "Stats" tab (next to Layers) is what you're looking for. It is located in the VFB2 next to the Layers tab and is available after rendering.
            Thanks, hermit.crab. I have been using GPU. This is all the info from my stats tab, not really a whole lot. Under CPU there is much more info. Any plan to make this info available for GPU as well? Thanks a lot!
            (Btw, this test scene only has one small jpg texture of a few hundred kilobytes and nothing else, plus two geometries with around 1k polygons each. Why did VRay take 4.64GiB of vram out of my 6GiB of total vram?)

Click image for larger version  Name:	kidoIuq.jpg Views:	0 Size:	18.9 KB ID:	1132556

Originally posted by vlado View Post
            You can also add a VRayRenderTime render element; it works in bucket mode and can tell you how many milliseconds each pixel took.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            vlado, I don't see the VRayRenderTime element when using bucket mode under GPU. Is this function going to be available for GPU sometime soon? That will be very helpful!

Click image for larger version  Name:	BadYJAN.jpg Views:	0 Size:	22.0 KB ID:	1132557
            Last edited by onyxlee; 02-12-2021, 01:06 AM.

Comment

onyxlee Yes, the list will expand eventually. There are already more stats available in the latest official V-Ray builds.
              Also, the VRayRenderTime element is not yet supported on the GPU. I've logged an improvement request (internal bug-tracker id: VGPU-5647) for its implementation.
              Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
              Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
              X