VRay 5 for Animations / Standalone Denoiser Guide for Animations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRay 5 for Animations / Standalone Denoiser Guide for Animations

We recently upgraded from NEXT to Vray 5 and I'm in the process of figuring out what settings to use for animations moving forward. Our animation solution before was using precalculated IR/LC in multiframe incremental and flythrough mode respectively but since that is no longer the supported/suggested method we are trying to make BF/LC method work. I understand the suggested workflow is to use universal settings and only change the image sampler max subdivisions and the noise threshold but we are not having much luck. Overall we have noticed that either the render times are much slower for us or the images are much noisier than before. I'm reaching out to see how others are using Vray 5 for 3dsMax for animation workflows. Ultimately, we need to find a solution where the frame rendering times are in the same ballpark and with the same quality as we were getting with Vray Next or we will need to look for other solutions or even downgrade back to Next. I have seen people mention using the standalone denoiser for blending the noise between frames for an animation. While I did read through the documentation, I wasn't having much luck getting it to work either. It seems to just close without doing anything. I'm sure there is something that I'm missing but was wondering if there is a step by step guide somewhere for this process. I appreciate any insight into the standalone denoiser or general animation techniques using Vray 5.0

Refer to this reply as feedback.
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

It has been about a year now using Vray 5 for 3dsMax and I'm still having issues using it for animations. As mentioned in my first post, the renderings either take too long or have a ton of noise. I have been using the standalone denoiser which does help to blend and alleviate some noise but there is still a lot of noise in the final result. I'm using the default render settings for the most part other than the image sampler subdivisions which I had to lower to help with the time and the noise threshold which I changed to help with the noise. I have even tried leaving the default values for max subdivisions and noise threshold but it then takes and extremely long time. It goes from taking around 5 minutes per frame to nearly 3 hours. This is not a feasible solution for our workflow and therefore we resorted to using Lumion for most of our new animations. I would really appreciate some help taking a look at one of my files to see if there is something I'm missing.

Comment

Hi you could send us a template scene for review here (public) or through our contact form where it will be reviewed by our support team members.
        Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
        X