forestPro with vray proxies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• forestPro with vray proxies

hi. i've just been wondering about using forestPro to scatter vray proxies as opposed to geometry . is it advantageous to use vray proxies? thanks.

Hi. That is probably more a question to the forum specific to itoo/forestPack. As they are the developers of the plugin and will probably know more about how (good) forest Pack works with vray proxies. They are definitley supported.

I haven't had any problems with vray proxies so far. Although forest Pack keeps on noting the best way would be using geometry instances. Lateley I dind't really take too much care about ram consumption either. 64GB ram was always enough for me but that depends on what plan to do with it I guess.

Best,
    Fritz

Comment

FP works great with vray proxy The advantage is that the scene is much less heavy because FP keeps the source file (e.g. tree) in the off layer, but it still weighs on the scene if it is not proxy

Comment

I've been using proxies with Forest Pack and I don't think I've encountered issues so far.
        Aleksandar Mitov
        www.renarvisuals.com
        office@renarvisuals.com

3ds Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1
        AMD Ryzen 9 9950X 16-core
        64GB DDR5
        GeForce RTX 3090 24GB + GPU Driver 551.86

Comment

ah i see. ok thanks.

Comment

I am not 100% if this limitation is valid with vray5, but if you use proxies, you won't be able to use randomization on forest color.
            Surrealismo
            https://www.facebook.com/surrrealismo

Comment

I have been talking about this with Itoo. The disadvantages when using VRay proxies is that updates to the library (system) are not transfered over to proxies. Also the edge mode does not work.

I also wanted lighter scenes because the library items meshes are all "stored" in the hidden FP folder. This can add up when you are working on heavy scenes with lots of heavy elements. Even when you later can add all the Forest Pro objects as an XRef to the main scene, it can still be quite a heavy scene in itself.

There is a way around this: you can set xref="1" (normally "0") in the index.xml in the corresponding library folder. But with each forest update this file can be changed (back). If you really want this, you need to copy the libraries to the user libraries folder and change the index.xml file there.

Comment

Originally posted by leo.surrealismo View Post
                I am not 100% if this limitation is valid with vray5, but if you use proxies, you won't be able to use randomization on forest color.
                Just try to set the display mode of the instanced proxies to full mesh, and any procedural colorization in FP should work on proxies. I thought I heard that sometime in a presentation.

Comment

Working...
                X