Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low thread priority setting?

Hello,

where is the "Low thread priority" setting in Vray5?
    It's not anymore where it was and I can't find something similar.

Is there any way to limit the number of cores, to let it render in background?

Thanks!

You can read about the "Low thread priority" option's disappearance in this topic. Otherwise, you can limit the number of threads (cores usually have two threads, where each thread is represented by a single bucket in bucket rendering) through this environment variable:
    Code:
    VRAY_NUM_THREADS=N
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Originally posted by BeneZ View Post
      Is there any way to limit the number of cores, to let it render in background?
      I use Prio – Process Priority Saver.
      It's free for personal, non commercial use, or costs around 20 bucks for a single perennial license.
      I personally never had issues, nor could live without it (well, unless MS implemented this in the OS itself.).
      However, i'm not endorsing this: i have no affiliation to the developer, i'm just reporting my own experience.
      Lele
      Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
      ----------------------
      emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
      The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

I blame MS. In win xp 64. You used to be able render render with the renderer set to low priority and play Quake 3 in the FG with no slow down at all. XP would properly completely starve lower priority processes if there was a higher priority process available to run. This is what the user wants on a workstation.

Now they give “fair” time to all processes, even lower priority ones, and it slows down FG work. Not good scheduler design for a workstation, IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post

I use Prio – Process Priority Saver.
          It's free for personal, non commercial use, or costs around 20 bucks for a single perennial license.
          I personally never had issues, nor could live without it (well, unless MS implemented this in the OS itself.).
          However, i'm not endorsing this: i have no affiliation to the developer, i'm just reporting my own experience.
          Hello Lele,

I was using "Prio" for some time, it was great but now it doesn't work anymore, isn't maintained anymore.
          It does not show up in the task manager of latest windows 10.

If you have any new suggestion, I would be happy.

Thanks you

Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-01-03 14_39_39-O&K Software Help Desk.png
Views:	432
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	1135527

Comment

Argh!
            I hadn't updated windows in a while, so i wouldn't know.
            I've currently got no idea of a substitute, unfortunately.
            Maybe win 11 has a better task manager that allows for the saving of priorities and affinities?
            Anyone with win 11 installed that can chime in?
            Lele
            ----------------------

Disclaimer:
            The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Oh no, beware of Windows 11 !
              Wait at least another year, I heard nothing good from a friend...

Comment

But why couldn''t chaosgroup reactivate the priority management (amount of cores), which it had already integrated in the past?
                Please keep me updated for any solution, thanks!

Comment

That is always active now.
                  However, it never fixed the issue as lowering Max's priority did.
                  Lele
                  ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Working...
                  X