Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reproduce baked Lens Effects bloom/glare 1/1 via Glare pass for compositing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reproduce baked Lens Effects bloom/glare 1/1 via Glare pass for compositing?

I've been meaning to ask for a long while, I use After Effects for very simple compositing and typically will output Open EXR sequences. I've never known how to reproduce a 1/1 composite of the baked in Lens Effects bloom/glare, it's always much less detailed and pronounced in the composite vs baked in.

I'm certain it's an issue on my end, I thought it might be AE at first but even in PDPlayer if I stack the glare on top of RGB and ADD as blending mode, the result still way less detailed than baked glare if using Lens Scratches and Lens Dust.

Any and all guidance is greatly appreciated!

If you've manipulated the lens effects' "Intensity" value, you should also multiply the Glare element by that value when compositing (the value change is not saved in the Glare element). The formula is like so:
    Code:
    result= RGB + (glare*intensity)
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Thank you! This makes so much sense and has to be it, I can’t wait to try it out later.

I had no clue all these years, not sure why I would expect a single addition layer of the glare element to output more data than it possibly could in one iteration of itself.

Seeing the answer now in hindsight it’s painfully obvious, like Photoshop blending modes 101, lol.

Thank you again!

Comment

Originally posted by hermit.crab View Post
        you should also multiply the Glare element by that value when compositing (the value change is not saved in the Glare element).]
        I still strongly encourage the developers to save the intensity into the glare element to prevent users from asking this question over and over again.
        https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Working...
        X