Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Screen mapped texture not appearing in reflection.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screen mapped texture not appearing in reflection.

I have created a simplified version of my scene for this peoblem, but the task I'm trying to achieve is basically this - to cast shadows and obscure reflections to the same positions of my 2D postproduction added characters. I could obviously add these is post too, but there's a lot of surface reflection on the surface they're standing on so I'd like to get the light behavious as 'real' as possible, besides now I've run in to a problem I want to know how to get around it.

In order to replicate the position of the characters in the 3D scene I've added a few planes with a look-at constraint to the camera and then positioned them in the XY plane and Z=0

My plan was to create a few mono bitmaps of the charcater groups and apply them using 'screen' mapping mode, thus the position of each 2D character would be correct within the framer of the 3D scene, and I'd just have to worry about getting the plane they're each projecting on to at the correct distance from the camera in the scene.

This works to an extent but the reflections take on the same screen mapping, i.e. the reflections show as if they were actually refractions / transparent, in this case the reflection doesn't show at all because the map is trasparent in that area. I tested this by scribbling in that trasparent area of the screen map where the reflection should appear, and the scribble shows up.

Am I approaching this all wrong? The behavious I expected is for the planes with the screen opacity map applied to them, they would appear as reflections of what they do in direct view. Is there a better method to project the opacity textures on to my plane that will behave as expected in scene reflections?

Attached Files
    Last edited by busseynova; 12-10-2021, 08:13 AM.

For clarity, this is the effect I was expecting and was able to achieve with regular channel specific mapping, but it's harder to get the position spot on. As you can see if I overlay my opacity map in red

Attached Files

Comment

have you tried with Camera Map Per Pixel?
      Marcin Piotrowski
      youtube

Comment

Thanks, that works well. Hadn't come across that node before

Comment

Working...
        X