Phoenix FD aur files not showing in VRayVolumeGrid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoenix FD aur files not showing in VRayVolumeGrid

I'm able to read PhoenixFD files into a V-Ray VolumetricGrid object, and I can see the grid is changing size as the simulation runs over frames, but there's no preview in the viewport and it doesn't render. I can see and render other aur files I've downloaded, for example the clouds here ..

What could I be doing wrong?

V-Ray Next 3.1
    Phoenix FD 4.30

Hey,

The AUR format got a few updates during the last couple years.

The changes to the AUR format are from September, so they were not in the official V-Ray - https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/PHX4MAX/4.30.00 - check the bullets that mention "AUR" and that new AUR files will not be readable by older Phoenix versions - this also applies to the volume grid in the old V-Ray Next.

You can grab a latest stable V-Ray nightly that should be able to read the cache files: https://nightlies.chaosgroup.com/mai...ble/stable_4.3

Cheers!
    Georgi Zhekov
    Phoenix Product Manager
    Chaos

Comment

Thanks.
      I had no idea that you released builds for legacy versions. That's fantastic.

I'm on V-Ray Next 3.1 and Phoenix FD 4.30. I can see a "Phoenix FD 4 for 3ds Max" build in the "13.10.2021" folder, but I can't find V-Ray Next 3.1.
      Are there new builds for that version that will fix my problem? Or will just updating PhoenixFD allow me to export aur files that can be read by V-Ray Next 3.1?

Comment

Ah it's the other way around. You need to get a V-Ray nightly build not a Phoenix one. The problem you're having is that the Phoenix caches are using the new format, while the V-Ray version you're using is too old to read them.

The second link in my previous post should take you to the V-Ray Next stable nightlies folder.
        If you can't see them for some reason, please contact our support team and they will help. You can do that here - https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
        Georgi Zhekov
        Phoenix Product Manager
        Chaos

Comment

Thanks!
          I just remembered, it's V-Ray Next 3.1, but the actual version number is 4.30.xx. That's correct, isn't it?
          I found "vray_adv_43003_max2020_x64_30952_install.zip" . I think this is the one I need. Am I ok just double-clicking and installing over the old version?

Comment

Yes, this is it. Just reinstalling over the old V-Ray should be enough.

Still if there any issues pop up you can reinstall Phoenix after you have installed V-Ray and it should help.

Georgi Zhekov
            Phoenix Product Manager
            Chaos

Comment

Thanks.
              I'll give it a try now.

Comment

Works perfectly.
                Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
                X