Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatically apply an mtl override on objects with no material assigned

Hey all,
    Maybe I'm missing something, but is it possible to have V-Ray applying a material override that only includes objects with no material applied? That way one can have a decent preview render without all those wonderful object/layer colors messing your GI...
    Any thoughts?
    Tks!
    V-Ray Evangelist, Trainer and Freelancer
    www.behance.net/rickeloy

This should do it:

1. Use this script to select all objects without a shader:
    Code:
    select (for i in objects where i.material==undefined collect i)
    2. Invert the selection (Ctrl+I)
    2. Create a new layer and add the selection (Add Selection to Current Layer).
    3. Activate the Override Mtl feature (Render Setup>Global Switches>Override Mtl) and set it to Exclude Layers.
    4. Select the newly created layer.
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Instead of layers, you can also create a selection set, and include that into the override.
      Run the script below, and you'll get a "NoMaterial" selection set visible in the override's include/exclude dialog.

Code:
      selectionSets["NoMaterial"] = for g in geometry where g.material == undefined collect g
      Lele
      Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
      ----------------------
      emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
      The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Thanks, guys!
        My first attempt was doing just that, using a script to select everything without material and adding them manually. Lele's solution looks a bit more elegant in that sense, but doesn't seem to work: the selection set is indeed created, but ti does not select any of the objects, even those I just created for test purposes.
        If I use the set outside of the Exclude/Include dialog, it works fine, but doesn't seem to work in the list (Max2022).
        www.behance.net/rickeloy

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Eloy View Post
          the selection set is indeed created, but ti does not select any of the objects, even those I just created for test purposes.
          In my case the nodes are assigned (without being selected!) to the selection set.
          Once i open the include/exclude list for the override, i can pick the noMaterials selSet from the dropdown, which in turn selects the nodes in the list.
          Then i click the add to exclude/include, and i am done.

See the linked capture of the process.
          Lele
          Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
          ----------------------
          emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
          The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Hum... got it. Thanks for the video, I was going straight to the selection set instead of having it first select the objects.
            Thank you once again!
            www.behance.net/rickeloy

Comment

Working...
            X