Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

possible to force vray 5 to render like vray 3.6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• possible to force vray 5 to render like vray 3.6?

Hi there,

We are using the latest version of vray but have a legacy project that was setup in 3.60.05 and when we open the file and make a render it looks very different. We are assuming this is because of the changes to specular, reflection etc that have been made since.

We are wondering if we can someone force it to render like it would have done back in 3.60.05 without having to install the old version across all workstations?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ben

Unfortunately, no.
    Your only guarantee of getting the same results, by the pixel, is to install the same max and v-ray versions.
    Lele
    Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
    ----------------------
    emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Hey Lele,

Thanks for the reply.

You know, I think we would be able to live with a subtle difference in the render on this one but the change we are seeing is very significant and I think its related to the following warning when rendering the scene in vray 5 (see attachment).

If there was a fix or hack to get this rendering more like it would have done in 3.60.05 it would be amazing. Clutching at straws but its worth a shot

Thanks,
      Ben

Attached Files

Comment

Indeed, a number of important things changed since 3.x.
        The specific feature, for example, is dropped entirely, not just removed from the UI, so there's no way to have it back in V5.
        If you had both the channels mapped, f.e., V-Ray will have to be drop one (highlight), potentially leading to an entirely different look.

​​​​​​​I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
        Lele
        ----------------------

Disclaimer:
        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

All good!

Thank you for the heads up, we will just need to roll back for this project.

Comment

As a possible mitigating factor, if you installed an old version of Max with V-Ray 3.x you may well not have to touch your current Max or V-Ray install, as the license for 3.x can co-exist with that of 5.x.
            Lele
            ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Working...
            X