ACEScg vs sRGB comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACEScg vs sRGB comparison

I thought this might be useful for those "on the fence".
    I have to say I was sceptical for quite a while. tone mapping part is nothing special, just a nice curve but wide gamut part is magic.

sRGB (E) with AMPAS
    ACEScg (F) ocio aces 1.2 and exposure +1.0

Click image for larger version

Name:	mP_acesTest_E.jpg
Views:	2905
Size:	681.5 KB
ID:	1133110Click image for larger version

Name:	mP_acesTest_F.jpg
Views:	2733
Size:	757.1 KB
ID:	1133111
    Marcin Piotrowski
    youtube

There's some blue cast on the ACES image (see the ref white diffuse sphere's shadows) and the tones are quite a bit less saturated for ACES, but i can tell the range is higher (banans, apples and the toy seem to have more shape, by virtue of less crushed tones.).
    How much of that is ACES, and how much is the shaper built into the sRGB display transform, is impossible to to tell, afaik (in the literal sense. there is no info on how that shaper curve is built.).

I'd love to see the original 32bpc EXR, so to check it with a higher dynamic range under HDR (say, a rec2020, or DCI-P3).

Also, it'd be nice to see what the original materials/textures looked like in RL: the apples and bananas definitely look more realistic with ACES, but without a reference it's truly hard to be objective.

Nice job, btw.
    Lele
    Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
    ----------------------
    emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Once again, to substantiate what i said above, some image math (albeit on the jpg images.).
      The first image is the result of the minus operation (sRGB - Aces, clamped to 0.0 for viewing, so we're not seeing the negative values)
      The second, is aces-sRGB (i.e. the opposite of the first.).
      The third is the difference (abs (sRGB-Aces)), which will show the negative parts too (by virtue of the modulo, or Abs function, i.e. removing the negative sign.).

In the first, the redder cast of sRGB is apparent (it's missing in the ACES), in the second, the blue cast of ACES is apparent (as it's not there in the sRGB).
      The third image proves that there is indeed a lot of difference between the two color spaces, across the image plane.
      Attached Files
      Lele
      ----------------------

Disclaimer:
      The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

what was I thinking?..
        "comparison" in the title and jpegs attached. shame on me.
        proper output below. these are rendered without the lens and a tad warmer as I'm experiencing a bug with ocio and sRGB transform is not available. sRGB(D60) works ok. output E is corrected with white balance layer before AMPAS tonemapper so the correction does not affect render elements.
        sRGB (E) is saved with Display correction: None and Lookup Table layer on top with Work in sRGB on instead.

https://we.tl/t-vbAay2qYoo
        Marcin Piotrowski
        youtube

Comment

Ahah, what are you doing up at this time of night?
          Thanks for the EXRs!
          Lele
          ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

London. so not that late yet.
            and it's this and gin or loading dishwasher..
            Marcin Piotrowski
            youtube

Comment

assets from quixel (with albedos corrected a bit):

Name:	acesTest_megascans_A.jpg
Views:	2065
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	1133941Click image for larger version

Name:	acesTest_megascans_B.jpg
Views:	2047
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	1133942Click image for larger version

Name:	acesTest_megascans_C.jpg
Views:	2060
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	1133943
              Marcin Piotrowski
              youtube

Comment

The leftmost has to be ACEScg, as the blue cast is very present (see the indirect in the white test sphere).
                The central, by virtue of its saturation (nearly over-saturation) has to be sRGB.
                The third looks like a graded ACEScg, with some CCs.
                Did i get them right?
                Lele
                ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

correct. although last one is sRGB with CCs. thrown in just to muddy the waters slightly.

if there is someone testing it and willing to share I would love to see some more images or impressions. I chose fruit and veg as these are quite relatable colour wise but anything would do. maybe just not Lego The Movie style full of saturated LED lights as we've seen a lot of that already.

also the AMPAS curve seems to be hitting the spot quite right. I'm hearing more and more it's becoming the new favourite.
                  Marcin Piotrowski
                  youtube

Comment

Could you render a version of each with the dome at 1.0 white, and no textures in it?
                    That would essentially return the shaders and textures' qualities, any colored cast an unwanted side effect of gamut remapping.
                    Lele
                    ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
                      Could you render a version of each with the dome at 1.0 white, and no textures in it?
                      That would essentially return the shaders and textures' qualities, any colored cast an unwanted side effect of gamut remapping.
                      white dome (info in the Stamp):

Name:	acesTest_megascans_D.jpg
Views:	1864
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	1134014Click image for larger version

Name:	acesTest_megascans_E.jpg
Views:	1852
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	1134015

exrs: https://we.tl/t-JByOg45sdp
                      Marcin Piotrowski
                      youtube

Comment

VRaySun. for this one I did adjust ACEScg's WB via White Balance layer (8000K) to match sRGB. info in the Stamps:

Name:	acesTest_megascans_F.jpg
Views:	1850
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	1134018Click image for larger version

Name:	acesTest_megascans_G.jpg
Views:	1839
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	1134019Click image for larger version

Name:	acesTest_megascans_H.jpg
Views:	1840
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	1134020Click image for larger version

Name:	acesTest_megascans_I.jpg
Views:	1836
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	1134021
                        Marcin Piotrowski
                        youtube

Comment

Thanks for the renders!
                          Linked, a 1:1 contact sheet with the difference, and the minus operations, all with measured min, max and avg value.
                          This is why i was mentioning that for color-accurate work on sRGB displays (i.e. most of them), one needs to stick to sRGB.
                          The blue cast in the secondary bounces of ACEScg will upset color perception (and actual values) beyond feasible correction.
                          Notice it adds blue and removes red, leaving greens (also used for luma perception by humans) essentially untouched (minus operations, avg. values, notice the green apple in the difference.).
                          That to me is problematic, as of yet.
                          It does look pretty, no doubt.
                          Last edited by ^Lele^; 14-12-2021, 08:45 AM.
                          Lele
                          ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

true. what I called "magic" after first test seems to be happening mostly in red channel. limited hues of the first scene threw me off.
                            Marcin Piotrowski
                            youtube

Comment

Name:	acesTest_megascans_J.jpg
Views:	1846
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	1134229Click image for larger version

Name:	acesTest_megascans_K.jpg
Views:	1824
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	1134230

edit​: hue and sat -
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	acesTest_megascans_JandK_vs.jpg Views:	0 Size:	153.1 KB ID:	1134227
                              Last edited by piotrus3333; 15-12-2021, 12:47 PM.
                              Marcin Piotrowski
                              youtube

Comment

Working...
                              X