Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When a grayscale map is assigned to vraymtl's refraction IOR slot, what happens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When a grayscale map is assigned to vraymtl's refraction IOR slot, what happens?

When a grayscale map is assigned to vraymtl's refraction IOR slot, what will happen?

What should I do if I want the black area to have IOR = 1, white area IOR = 2? I tried to change the IOR when there's a map, the IOR value seems to be ignored.

I checked the chaos documentation. It's not mentioned there.

I did a test with VrayColor. When the map's gray value varies from 0-255, the IOR varies between 0-1. So how do I use a map to bring an IOR to above 1? Thanks again.

I also checked lots of info. No materials have IOR between 0-1. Most things have IOR between 1-2.x. Since then, what's the purpose of having this texture slot for IOR, if it can only be set to 0-1?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Click image for larger version  Name:	3dsmax_h9JSocJmIa.jpg Views:	12 Size:	59.5 KB ID:	1137984
    Last edited by onyxlee; 26-01-2022, 11:58 PM.

Any help, please?

Comment

You could take a VrayCompTex node and set Operator 'Multiply (A*B)' and connect your bitmap and a new VrayColor node with red=green =blue =1.0 , RGB multiplier= 1.6 (for glass IOR).

or you cound set ior map's Output Amount value to 1.6 , it works too. but I perfer the first way .

Comment

Use the Output rollout Enable Color Map and set the min and max values to the desired range. (Which can be greater than 1.0 as required here. )
        Last edited by Joelaff; 28-01-2022, 06:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by will_will View Post
          You could take a VrayCompTex node and set Operator 'Multiply (A*B)' and connect your bitmap and a new VrayColor node with red=green =blue =1.0 , RGB multiplier= 1.6 (for glass IOR).

or you cound set ior map's Output Amount value to 1.6 , it works too. but I perfer the first way .
          Thank you, that's such a great idea!!!

Comment

Working...
          X