Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viewport vs. IPR responsiveness

Hullo,

I wonder if there is a way to 'tune' IPR so that more performance/responsiveness is prioritised for the viewport?
    Usually in smaller scenes both the viewport and IPR can both do their thing at the same time, but with gigantic scenes movement within the viewport is so sluggish while IPR is running that it's really not a viable option to even have it running.

Any thoughts beyond just telling me to hide objects. The scene is already as stripped down as much as is possible whilst still being 'usable'. Max claims a viewport FPS of 1.3 with IPR running, and between 40-100 with IPR off.

edit: If you watch this video for example, Corona's IPR seems to leave the viewport performance extremely fluid.
    Last edited by Pixelcon; 28-02-2022, 03:24 AM.
    James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
    Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

The scene in the video seems very little to me beside the scale. Since viewport bottlenecks may come from CPU you can try to limit the core usage from Vray.
    3D Scenes, Shaders and Courses for V-ray and Corona
    NEW V-Ray 5 Metal Shader Bundle (C4D/Max): https://www.3dtutorialandbeyond.com/...ders-cinema4d/
    www.3dtutorialandbeyond.com
    @3drenderandbeyond on social media @3DRnB Twitter

Comment

The video to me seems to have a LOT of complex geometry which is what I am having issues with in my scene.

Comment

It looks a bunch of low polygon assets to me, definition of complex is very subjective I guess
        Can you show a scene where you have issues?
        3D Scenes, Shaders and Courses for V-ray and Corona
        NEW V-Ray 5 Metal Shader Bundle (C4D/Max): https://www.3dtutorialandbeyond.com/...ders-cinema4d/
        www.3dtutorialandbeyond.com
        @3drenderandbeyond on social media @3DRnB Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Pixelcon View Post
          The video to me seems to have a LOT of complex geometry which is what I am having issues with in my scene.
          The stat-counter in that video shows 6.3 million polies in the scene. That is not much, most of the scenes we're dealing with are factor 10 of that.

https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

The viewport stat counter won't take into account the proxies scattered around the scene (i think it's debris, for the little i can tell.).
            However, it's not just the poly count a render deals with.
            The lighting and shading complexity play a potentially big part too.
            And on the user's hardware side, both the CPU speed and the Memory speed will have an impact, and we know nothing of the shown hardware (we could surely ask) in relation to the OP's.
            It's quite impossible to measure as it is.
            Lele
            Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
            ----------------------
            emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
            The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Originally posted by kosso_olli View Post

The stat-counter in that video shows 6.3 million polies in the scene. That is not much, most of the scenes we're dealing with are factor 10 of that.
              Awesome. Do you want a prize? I don't really understand why one would bother replying without actually contributing to the thread. The point is not how heavy the scene is, but that the changes the user is making seem to take priority over the interactive render updating.

Comment

but that the changes the user is making seem to take priority over the interactive render updating.
                Locally, i see absolutely no appreciable difference in the way the IPR respond to some simple, identical scene, between Corona and V-Ray (if anything, we're marginally quicker.).
                As stated, we'd need to see the details of your issue to be able to asses if there are potential problems, a youtube video won't be enough.
                Feel free to send us a scene you feel isn't responsive enough, so we may be able to profile it.
                Last edited by ^Lele^; 28-02-2022, 07:41 AM.
                Lele
                ----------------------

Disclaimer:
                The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

I will indeed when I get a moment to archive it up. Can I send it to your email? Or is there a better one for this purpose?

Comment

You can send it to me, i'll check it out and pass it to support/the devs, or you can send it to support via the website.
                    Entirely as you prefer.
                    Lele
                    ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Awesome. Do you want a prize? I don't really understand why one would bother replying without actually contributing to the thread. The point is not how heavy the scene is, but that the changes the user is making seem to take priority over the interactive render updating.
                      Well, on a scene with around 7 million polies, IPR in V-Ray is just as fast as shown in the video. And I can tell you from testing, that Coronas IPR is just as slow as V-Ray's with 70 million polies.
                      One thing heavily slowing down IPR is the old Max normal bump. If you often merge stuff from various libraries or model collections, chances are high you will have some of these in your scene. Basically anything that shows up as yellow or red in the V-Ray log windows will likely impact performance.
                      Last edited by kosso_olli; 01-03-2022, 03:14 AM.
                      https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Working...
                      X