stones pebbles displacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stones pebbles displacement?

I need to model stones that will fill-in around columns of a canopy. They are like river stones but should be somewhat round around 1" - 2" diameter and would be quite white. It's not A-gravel or anything but more of a feature river stone kind of thing. I have a decent map and map a mono-bump map but just haven't had any luck with getting what I need. I can get a decent bump but need more round stone kind of look.

I saw a tutorial a long time back. I'm not even really sure where but it was exactly what I needed. If anyone has any suggestions or knows of that tutorial, with such a weak explanation, it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Peter.

I would try painting over your bump map, fill in the stone areas with a gradient brush.
    Eric Boer
    Dev

Comment

maybe a particle system? arnt particles instance geometry?

---------------------------------------------------
      MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
      stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

I'm trying to modify my bump map currently but it's not working out too well. Very jagged. I will try the gradient brush. Do you know of any tutorials on the subject. I saw one about a year ago that was exactly what I needed. Man I wish I would have filed it properly.

I'm not sure how to use a partical system? Although I would imagine that is a Max feature, correct? I have VIZ 2005. Thanks for the suggestions I appreciate it. If anyone else has any good ideas on how to model small rocks / pebbles please let me know. I don't want to have to start modeling individual rocks but that may be an option. So if anyone has a tutorial or info. on that please pass it on.

Thanks again.

Regards Peter.

Comment

I get nice displacement maps by using the select by color (or manualy select) then shrink or grow selection and feather to get a good gradient variation.

here's an example of the finished displace map that gives a nice round effect on the stones:

Comment

Displace a cellular map.
            Adjust the spread of the cells for more space between the stones.
            www.studio2a.co

Comment

R2J2 - Thanks I'll give that a try. Do you know of a good site to get some stone maps?

meanadam - don't know what a cellular map is? Care to enlighten me? Thanks for the response.

Regards Peter.

Comment

A cellular map is one of the standard Max procedural map types. Just click on the appropriate map slot and select cellular instead of bitmap.

Comment

Thanks pixeljockey - I'll give that a try!

Regrads Peter.

Comment

Working...
                  X