Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Render objects from thecreativecrops (sssMask)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Render objects from thecreativecrops (sssMask)

Hey guys

I purchased a pretzel model from www.thecreativecrops.com. It came with the following maps:

- Diffuse
    - Displacement
    - Glossiness
    - Normal
    - Roughness
    - sssMask

I know how to use all the maps except for the sssMask. But that one seems to be really important to make the pretzel look realistic. I already asked their support but the support employee just told me that he doesn´t use vray. But he told me that there has to be a way to setup the material 100% correctly in vray cause " it works more or less the same in most render engines."

Can anyone maybe help me with that? Which material can you use here and how should you connect the different textures?

Thanks already in advance!
    Attached Files

A standard VRayMtl should suffice. Here's how to link the textures:
    1. Diffuse map in Diffuse slot
    2. Displacement map in Displacement slot; it's advisable to add a VRayDisplacementMod to the object (check the "Use object mtl" option) for more control
    3. Glossiness map in the Reflection Glossiness slot
    4. Normal map in a VRayNormalMap node, which you plug in the Bump slot
    5. Roughness is inverted Glossiness. If you're planning to use PBR, you should switch the VRayMtl's mode to "Use Roughness" (VRayMtl>BRDF) and use this map instead of the glossiness.
    Last edited by hermit.crab; 30-03-2022, 08:11 AM.
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Hi,
      sorry to intervene in this post, but to be sure, the option "map in the SSS amount" exists only on 3DS Max? I can't find it on Sketchup (I just have a slider).
      It would be nice to add this option on VRay for Sketchup.
      Windows 10 - RTX 3090 - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X - 128 Go RAM
      Sketchup PRO 24.0.594 + V-Ray 6.20.06
      3DS Max 2024.2.3 + V-Ray 6.20.06
      3DS Max 2025.2 + V-Ray 7 BETA
      Chaos Vantage 2.5.2
      GeForce Studio Ready Driver Version 551.86​​

Comment

Thanks a lot for your help, hermit.crab !!

Sorry but I need to ask again .

6. Set the VRayMtl's Translucency mode to SSS and plug the map in the SSS amount (the mask controls the mix between Diffuse and SSS).
        The SSS amount doesn´t have a slot for textures as it seems. I can only plug it in the SSS color or the Scatter radius. Hope I haven´t overlooked something.. So yea, DCHA34, as it seems there´s no slot for that in max either .

Click image for larger version  Name:	VRayMtl.JPG Views:	0 Size:	45.9 KB ID:	1143246
        Last edited by Soluna; 21-03-2022, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Soluna Pardon me, I guess I overlooked. I'll make a note to the devs to implement it for the VRayMtl. In that case, you might want to use a VRayAlSurface instead, where you plug the SSS Mask in the SSS Mix slot; all other maps (only Roughness is available, so ignore the Glossiness map) should be plugged similar to the VRayMtl.
          Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
          Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

That´d be great to have in VRay! Thanks a lot for your help and for making a note to the devs to implement it for the VRayMtl!! Really looking forward to the updated version!

Comment

This is doable right now.
              Simply use the SSSmask as a multiplier for your SSS color, via vrayCompTex set to multiply.
              So, in a comptex, set the first map to be a vraycolor (or any other texture if you have it) with your sss color, the second map is your sssMask, the operation should be "multiply".
              Lele
              Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
              ----------------------
              emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
              The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Working...
              X