Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Way to speed up blurry reflections ?

Hi,

I'm rendering a bike and some metal materials particularly are rendering really slowly (VRay 5.2.2).

I thought about an accumulation of things, like metal + anisotropy + bump + vrayedge as bump, etc, and so I replaced my material with a VRay material with aluminium settings, max depth 2, the 960x960 render took 28min (including 4 min for the last standing bucket...)
    The environment is mostly black with VRay lights.

If I just switch to rough aluminium, max depth still at 2, the render takes 44mins (for a 960x960 render without DoF, sample rate is similar for both).

Is it normal ? 16 more minutes just cuz the glossiness changes from 1 to around 0.9 ?
    If I just do a small crop on the calliper the glossy one takes 39 seconds to render while the blurry one took more than 11min with a hanging bucket, as if it was entering an infinite loop when the metal is reflecting itself, despite the max depth at 2.

Needless to say with the default max depth at 8 it's much longer.
    The disk, with heavy anisotropy is also pretty slow to render, despite not being red in the sampler rate.
    I know blurry reflections are slow but I don't remember having such render times with VRay 3.

I'm not a master of VRay theory but I used to have a fairly good quality/time ratio with IRmap/LC, but so far I can't quite say the same with BF/LC.
    I have to crank up the parameters to remove the noise, because I gotta say I'm not a fan of the idea of relying on denoiser to get good renders in an acceptable time. Unless I don't know how to use it, I find it has a tendency to wipe out very small details in objects with a plain diffuse, like a grainy plastic or a leather grain, as well as making bad transitions between denoised areas and areas where the texture was strong enough to be preserved, sometimes doing ugly stuff a bit like a jpg compression macroblocks.

I tried to follow the optimizing tutorial (switch things off to set min/max subdivs, then boost min shading rate if needed), my vraysampler pass is pretty much all blue except for some red areas mostly on edges that render really really slow, particularly where metal is reflecting itself.

I use bucket mode, min shading rate 64, min/max subdivs 2/32, noise threshold 0.05 (0.025 was too slow).

Is there something I'm missing ?
    Should I look for something that slows down the render ?
    Too bright lights ? Too many lights ?
    Difficult geometry ? (I used a "heavy" boolean to make the holes in the rotors)
    Can an old VRay material from a previous scene/version carry some bad stuff ?
    Is VRayEdge really slow with metallic materials unless it's in a certain mode ? (GGX, phong, blinn, etc)

The log is telling me blend material is not compatible and could cause problems.

Any idea ?

Hard to tell without an EXR or a scene, but it could well be those highlights are too strong, and take a while to converge, although the samplerate seems to be pointing to other parts of the image as being problematic.
    If you want, send me the scene (or relevant portion thereof) via email and i'll take a look.
    Lele
    Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
    ----------------------
    emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Working...
    X