trace sets.... shadows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trace sets.... shadows?

ive got a matte surface and i want shadows cast onto it by only some of the objects... obviously i cant use anything crude like excluding objects from shadowcasting...

it would be great if we could use trace sets to control shadows as well as reflections and refractions... is there a technical reason why this isnt a feature?

i guess at the moment my two options are to do 2 separate renders, or have multiple sets of lights, with some careful include-exclude work... not sure how that will work with the interplay of shadows between everything though...

ill probably just do 2 renders... unless there is a better way?

Even with a Shadows trace set, you would need to render twice, since the shadows would be disabled in both Alpha and RGB.

Just a tip - you can easily disable all of your selected objects' shadow casting with this:
    Code:
    $.castShadows=false
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Originally posted by hermit.crab View Post
      Even with a Shadows trace set, you would need to render twice, since the shadows would be disabled in both Alpha and RGB.

Just a tip - you can easily disable all of your selected objects' shadow casting with this:
      Code:
      $.castShadows=false
      i would be fine with the shadows being disabled in both alpha and rgb.. i just want some objects to cast shadows on each other generally (so not turning off shadow casting) but not to cast shadows on the floor, which is a matte object. other objects should cast shadows on the floor normally. ideal job for trace sets, if it were possible for shadows.

Comment

Just so you know, I've notified the project manager about it.
        Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

thanks, it seems an obvious thing to include shadows in trace sets along with reflections and refractions.

Comment

Working...
          X