handling *extreme* texture resolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trick View Post
    I have used this plugin for Lightwave ages ago and could load huge earth textures without problems. Isn't something like this not available for Max?

https://www.db-w.com/products/infinimap/
    that appears to be just a loader that works with tiled EXR... i dont see what it does that vraybitmap does not already do, unless i missed something.

Comment

but the 16 tile patch covers a small arbitrary area within the current overall earth texture
      Ok, I thought you wanted to cover the entire globe. An image to explain what you need to do will help - then maybe I can think of another solution.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

i use global mapper for earth map jobs , also Downloaded my textures with it... took some time to finish this download xD i`m not shure how the import of your files work there position based... , but i`m shure there is a way (never did it).
        You can use your files and don`t need to download anything ..also you can setup your wanted projection/ reprojection!!
        With this dataset i exported a tile set of 50* 50 tiles (got 10k*5k resolution per tile- a 76m per pixel dataset) , converted them to tx files and loaded them in vraybitmap
        For earth i used a plane with 2 bend modifier to get the sphere (180°, 360°). i had to prepare the correct uvw-plane mapping size (uvw fit / 50, alligned to the lower left corner)
        I could render it with my machine (128gb ram)
        to improve workspeed i switched between 1 small earthmap and udim large 1 ( used 2 mapchannels )

hope this helps
        Last edited by Schellicon; 16-08-2022, 06:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by super gnu View Post

that appears to be just a loader that works with tiled EXR... i dont see what it does that vraybitmap does not already do, unless i missed something.
          Then I don't understand why you are having a problem with huge textures, because that's what I used Infinimap (Pro) for on a machine with 16G RAM! I haven't used VRay for such jobs yet, so wouldn't exactly know how VRaybitmap compares.

Comment

Then I don't understand why you are having a problem with huge textures, because that's what I used Infinimap (Pro) for on a machine with 16G RAM! I haven't used VRay for such jobs yet, so wouldn't exactly know how VRaybitmap compares.
            I have used both, and Inifini-Map is indeed similar to who VRayBitmap handles the tiled EXRs. The main difference being it was doing it about decade or so earlier; that's really about it. LightWave didn't have any method for doing that, hence the plugin.

I might make a grid of 9 squares, and make the center map very high resolution as a tiled EXR (or .tx if you don't need float), then make the outer 8 square lower resolution, but also big, and tiled EXR or tiles .tx files.Use a mask to blend those two.

It's a big pain in the butt, no doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by Joelaff View Post

I have used both,...
              Ah OK. But if you convert some imagestiles into a tiled EXR with the img2tiledexr-tool, why would you need to make a 9-square-grid then?
              Last edited by trick; 16-08-2022, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Ah OK. But if you convert some tiled images into a tiled EXR with the img2tiledexr-tool, why would you need to make a 9-square-grid then?
                Just to reduce the resolution of the biggest image you need.

If you can open and modify everything in PS or similar and make your tiled textures (and nothing crashes or chokes) then a single giant texture definitely works, and is likely the easiest thing to do from a manpower standpoint. If it makes things slow to work with then that's a different problem.

Comment

in global mapper you draw an retange (or input cordinates) what to export , in what resolution and what tile setup. of cause it can`t be bigger than your base map you imported or it will be interpolated / blurry
                  in 3dsmax use composite map with a mask to stack everything together
                  all you have to do is the mapping that everything is in correct position
                  (you can also build the high res tiles , take the outer ones and resize them in photoshop to mix them, should work i think)
                  to do the tiles in photoshop is real pain and slow as hell
                  (the software is not free, but it`s one of the best for these cases)

Comment

ive just seen all these replies! ive been on holiday, then neck deep in an unrelated job... thanks for all the suggestions.

i will revisit this once ive got some free time and see if something suggested here might help... most appreciated

Comment

Working...
                    X