VRay RAM usage and Memory Tracker log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRay RAM usage and Memory Tracker log

I'm trying to use the memory tracker in VRay settings to find out whats eating most of the RAM in some unoptimised scenes.

The log is giving me a total frame usage of 15GB roughly but the whole rendering of the scene is using about 30gb of RAM in task manager under process tab and about 45GB in total of RAM is being used with just Max open on the system under performance tab in task manager.

If memory tracker is stating that only 15GB is needed at peak for the frame, what is using the rest of the RAM when rendering?

So you're saying that your default non-rendering memory usage is around 15GB? The VFB also takes some memory, especially if the image is large, though 15GB is quite a difference. Could you give a screencap of both the task manager usage and the VFB stats? Also, does it happen when rendering in Standalone?
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Originally posted by hermit.crab View Post
      So you're saying that your default non-rendering memory usage is around 15GB? The VFB also takes some memory, especially if the image is large, though 15GB is quite a difference. Could you give a screencap of both the task manager usage and the VFB stats? Also, does it happen when rendering in Standalone?
      So I've been trying to figure some bits out, the scene is slightly different but I logged the memory usage before starting a render and after starting a render. Attaching the images here.

20GB used before rendering, 49GB used rendering. the log says 15GB frame total <--- is this not a total sum of all memory to render?

I'll also note that the current render resolution is 800x400 while I try and reduce the intensity of these xref scenes.
      Attached Files

Comment

What's the "Process RAM usage" of the scene? It's not printed in the memory tracking - you can see it in the top part of the Stats menu in the VFB.

Comment

process ram usage does say the same as task manager 49GB. so what is the difference between memory tracking and the stat in the vfb? as there is quite a large difference between the frame total and then the proccess usage.

Comment

The thing is that the V-Ray memory tracker shows what only V-Ray uses as memory. This does not include what 3ds Max utilizes (3ds Max also loads textures, etc), which can also sum up to a certain amount. Try exporting the scene as a .vrscene (V-Ray > .vrscene exporter) and render that through the standalone application (typing -help shows all the commands) - the memory usage should be lower.

Comment

Ah I see, I thought it included max as well, it is quite a large difference though, right?

OK i'll have a look at it through standalone and im just going to run through the objects and materials to try and lessen the RAM usage.

Comment

Working...
              X