Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best file type for animation output?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best file type for animation output?

I've heard EXR and I've heard PNG. The sequences are about 150-180 frames of 1920x1080 with beauty passes such as AO, Diffuse, and Cryptomatte. Ideally, I would love to be able to pull a mask for the diffuse pass for color correction purposes.

Currently, I'm using a PNG output workflow in AE, but not able to do anything with masking. I was just wondering what is a standard practice. Thanks!
    David Anderson
    www.DavidAnderson.tv

Software:
    Windows 10 Pro
    3ds Max 2023.3 Update
    V-Ray GPU 6 Update 1

Hardware:
    Puget Systems
    TRX40 EATX
    AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32-Core 3.69GHz
    2X NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
    128GB RAM

Provided you have enough disk space I would say .vrimg. You will have 32bit, all the layer needed, native compatibility with VFB tools, you can read it in AE using the ProEXR plugin, if needed it can be converted in multilayer exr using the dedicated Chaos tool. I’m pretty sure there’s also a plugin for cryptomatte editing in AE.
    3D Scenes, Shaders and Courses for V-ray and Corona
    NEW V-Ray 5 Metal Shader Bundle (C4D/Max): https://www.3dtutorialandbeyond.com/...ders-cinema4d/
    www.3dtutorialandbeyond.com
    @3drenderandbeyond on social media @3DRnB Twitter

Comment

I might give that a whirl. Thanks for the tip!
      David Anderson
      www.DavidAnderson.tv

Software:
      Windows 10 Pro
      3ds Max 2023.3 Update
      V-Ray GPU 6 Update 1

Hardware:
      Puget Systems
      TRX40 EATX
      128GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by sirio76 View Post
        Provided you have enough disk space I would say .vrimg.
        I have OpenEXR, but that (.vrimg) is not a file format AE recognizes as an import. So maybe .exr is best. I'm playing around with that now.

David Anderson
        www.DavidAnderson.tv

Software:
        Windows 10 Pro
        3ds Max 2023.3 Update
        V-Ray GPU 6 Update 1

Hardware:
        Puget Systems
        TRX40 EATX
        128GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by Streetwise View Post

I have OpenEXR, but that (.vrimg) is not a file format AE recognizes as an import. So maybe .exr is best. I'm playing around with that now.

The plugin is ProEXR not OpenEXR

http://www.fnordware.com/ProEXR/ it’s free and you can read .vrimg format in many software
          3D Scenes, Shaders and Courses for V-ray and Corona
          NEW V-Ray 5 Metal Shader Bundle (C4D/Max): https://www.3dtutorialandbeyond.com/...ders-cinema4d/
          www.3dtutorialandbeyond.com
          @3drenderandbeyond on social media @3DRnB Twitter

Comment

I have the same, can't open vrimg in after effects. Even with this ProEXR plugin (which they say comes standard with After Effects since CS5 or something).

If I download the ProEXR, the plugin for AE says it's OpenEXR so it's the same. Still can't open vrimg. Or .vri like they say neither. If I try to open it says Adobe animate is necessary to import an .fla file (but that's Flash, so no clue what that has to do with anything).

Edit: I needed to download 2.0 version (not easy to find just replace the 2.6 string in the download with 2.0 to get the "correct version") this one contains a ProEXR plugin. Bit to me it seems weird they removed VRIMG support in later versions. But still works if you install the "older" ProEXR plugin as well. I just put this plugin next to the newer ones and it seems to work all just fine.
            Last edited by Vizioen; 20-09-2022, 03:01 PM.
            A.

---------------------
            www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Working...
            X