No announcement yet.

Best tree plug-in for max/vray?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quite helpful reading these posts.....I've been considering Speed tree after trying a demo quite a few months back....but now having VRay I want to make sure I have something that is quite compatible. I checked out the Onyx site, but did not understand what you must purchase. There is Tree Storm and separate tree type libraries. Can you make trees from scrap from Tree Storm, or must you have a library to start with. The separate libraries seem to be stand alone applications which you then export out to Max, correct? So, is Tree Storm just the plug in to be able to use the libraries directly in Max? Thanks for any possible clarifications.

Comment

Well, I have bee working with TreeStorm (no max, though) and Speedtrees and this is what I noticed:

Tree Storm is very powerful, but basically is 100% geometry. It does give you UV mapping option, but you need to manually map trunk and leaves...No good. Otherwise, leave the per vertices colors, and for medium distance to background works fine. Close ups? no way, you need to map it.

Wind animation is superb. Because the tree is fully modeled and phisically accurate (or "botanically" accurate?) you get great animations.

But Again, I have not tried it with V-ray, since I got Speedtrees for MAX.

Speedtrees seemed not working well, in the beginning, because of slow rendering times in v-ray. After some tweaking, I am now capable of rendering a couple dozen hybrid trees with decent rendering times.

Setting the v-ray ray bias to 0.001 and taking the tree object out of the GI calculation (but receiving GI) does the trick. To adjust the brightness of the tree I simply adjust its "receive GI" amount.

Also, the tree editor is very powerfull, and well integrated into MAX. You can add as many leaves maps as you wish, to add randomnes, and increase the trunk resolution to avoid the smooth problem.

Next I want to test some full resolution Onyx trees (full geometry) and see how v-ray behaves...

Regards,

gio

Comment

You want to buy the OnyxGARDEN SuperBundle Max. TreeStorm is the plug-in for Max that comes in this bundle as well as separately. There is a modeller for each type of tree. Eg.: Conifer for conifers, flowers for flowers, broadleaf for broadleafs, etc. You model the tree/flower in the modeller then save that model as a file that you then access through the TreeStorm plug-in from within Max. I bought Onyx after others on this forum suggested it to me. Have a look at this work done with Onyx and Vray: http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/phpB...ic.php?t=12768
        Really excellent stuff!

You can buy TreeStorm by itself, but for $100 more you get updated modellers for each kind of tree and the flower modeller so I think it is worth the $100. Of course it depends on your budget!
        rpc212
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"DR or Die!"

Comment

look this post
          http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/phpB...ic.php?t=13213

Comment

Well, you guys convinced me. I just ordered Onyxgarden Supersuite. Looking forward to learning it.

Has anyone used this with MAX 8 yet.

Comment

Originally posted by TRGraphics
              Well, you guys convinced me. I just ordered Onyxgarden Supersuite. Looking forward to learning it.

Has anyone used this with MAX 8 yet.
              I've used them all but the flowers and they work fine. I purchased before flower was out, I think I might upgrade.
              Chris
              The Revitlution

Comment

Originally posted by rpc212
                You want to buy the OnyxGARDEN SuperBundle Max. TreeStorm is the plug-in for Max that comes in this bundle as well as separately. There is a modeller for each type of tree. Eg.: Conifer for conifers, flowers for flowers, broadleaf for broadleafs, etc. You model the tree/flower in the modeller then save that model as a file that you then access through the TreeStorm plug-in from within Max. I really like Onyx after others on this forum suggested it to me. Have a look at this work done with Onyx and Vray: http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/phpB...ic.php?t=12768
                Really excellent stuff!

You can buy TreeStorm by itself, but for $100 more you get updated modellers for each kind of tree and the flower modeller so I think it is worth the $100. Of course it depends on your budget!
                So, U R saying Onyx Garden actually texture-maps the model when U import it to MAX? Leaves and trunk? Like Speedtrees does?

Also, I do have the separate modellers (broadleaves, palm, bamboo, and conifer) maybe they have a good price for the MAX plugin alone...Although I think I asled awhile ago and it was still quite pricey (like, few hundreds, the plugin alone)...Since TreeStorm cost me already $600+ plus the updates, I was hoping for a better break for MAX plugin...

Thank you

regards

gio

Comment

If you have Tree Storm 5.6 Max then that is the plug-in for Max. Look on their upgrade page to see if you need to upgrade: https://amethyst.site-secure.net/ony...pgradeReq.html
                  I'm not quite sure what you have but it sounds like you have everything you need if you have Tree Storm and the modellers.

As far texture mapping the trees you can use what is parametrically applied from the modellers or you can texture map them yourself, in Max, for up close shots that require more detail.
                  rpc212
                  - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"DR or Die!"

Comment

Originally posted by rpc212
                    If you have Tree Storm 5.6 Max then that is the plug-in for Max. Look on their upgrade page to see if you need to upgrade: https://amethyst.site-secure.net/ony...pgradeReq.html
                    I'm not quite sure what you have but it sounds like you have everything you need if you have Tree Storm and the modellers.

As far texture mapping the trees you can use what is parametrically applied from the modellers or you can texture map them yourself, in Max, for up close shots that require more detail.
                    rpc,
                    thank you for the info,
                    I have Tree Storm PRO 6, which means I can get Garden boundle with MAX plugin for $300...

About materials, to be accurate, Tree Storm trees will come into MAX with only vertex colors (as far as I can tell, form Tree Storm Electricimage and from the Onyx site docs). That is, you will see a solid (or gradient) color applied to the geometry, trunk and leaves. I find this a bit limited, because even for mid ground vegetation, a flat brown trunk is just that.

I am wondering, if I need to place 10 or 20 trees along a boulevard for a drive-by, do I need to manually map them individually in MAX? That is, apply a map for the trunk and one or more for the leaves...Times 20 trees? That would be a drag.

Anyways, thank you again,

regards,

gio

Comment

Working...
                    X