Fastest VRayProxy display mode??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fastest VRayProxy display mode??

Today I was shocked to find out that the setting the VRayProxy display mode to "edges" from "faces" sped up my viewport display dramatically (from 2-3fps to 25-30fps!). When did this change occur (I totally missed this in any changelogs)? Back in the day when the Faces option was introduced it was lauded as being faster than "edges" and made the default. I even wrote/updated a script to convert all/selected proxies in a scene to faces. Even more surprising is that when I use this old script to switch it the "Faces" option it actually changes it to "edges" which corresponds to proxy.display=3 but edges used to be used to be display=1. When was that change made?

So what's up? Was this a change in max viewport performance or vray? Not upset, just confused.
    Last edited by dlparisi; 04-02-2023, 08:02 AM.
    www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Might also be changes in GPUs and GPU drivers. I have seen some very strange back and forth between different display modes with different GPUs.

Comment

Yeah I kind of thought that might be the case too. Still weird that the display #s seemed to have changed as well though. I wonder how long I've been handicapping myself by setting it to "faces" in the rollout.
      www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Originally posted by dlparisi View Post
        Yeah I kind of thought that might be the case too. Still weird that the display #s seemed to have changed as well though. I wonder how long I've been handicapping myself by setting it to "faces" in the rollout.
        I do the same thing. I have some "trick" that speeds things up, and then I am very sad when realize later that it no longer speeds thing up, but rather slows them down! Adapt or die! LOL

Comment

So the conclusion which is the fastest?
          Best regards,
          Jackie Teh
          --

3ds max design 2023, V-Ray 6, Update 2.1 [6.20.07 build 32575]
          AMD Threadripper 1950X @3.40 GHz | 64GB RAM | Nvidia RTX 3070 ti
          Email: info@sporadicstudio.com
          YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/SporadicStudio

Comment

Conclusion is you have to test it on your system, and retest every few uses in case things changed.

Comment

Working...
            X