forestpack vs instanced proxies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• forestpack vs instanced proxies

TLDR: does converting a massive fp object to instanced proxies have any negative or positive effect on scene interactivity, rendertimes and ram usage?

---------------------------------------------------------

ive got a scene thart makes *heavy* use of forestpack... a flat desert stretching to mountains at the horizon with gravel in the foreground... there are more than 400 million small plants and 160 million small stones (it turned out faster and less ram consuming to do the gravel with forestpack than with displacement, looked better too! )

rendertimes are fairly reasonable and ram usage is acceptable.

i just tried the vrscene "export and render" to see if it might be compatible with cloud rendering...

its exported, and its been sitting on "compiling geometry" for 25 mins now, and is on 0.71%

so i assume there is something not working !

i am also concerned since the vrscene is 7.6GB, and ive read that for animation, you need a vrscene for every frame?! thats rather impractical i expect... however maybe this is not the case since i only have an animated camera.

so the question is, i saw a suggestion to convert forestpacks to instanced proxies for rendering on cloud. ..... how does this compare rendertime and ram usage wise with forestpack? i dont think ive ever tried putting half a billion+ proxies in a scene before, and ive no idea what magic forestpack does under the hood...

i guess at least the gravel would have to remain as an fp object since i use "forest color" map..

im on vray5 and fp6 for this job cos a) i need to work with a company that still uses vr5 and fp ive let my subscription expire so im stuck on this fp for now.

Originally posted by super gnu View Post
    TLDR:

... and ive read that for animation, you need a vrscene for every frame?! ...

you can render everything animated with FP elements right away, or!? Every Renderfar i used so far was having no problem with Forest pack
    no need to compile FP objects to e.g. vrscene files frame by frame (I never used Chaos cloud so far - but i cant imagine, that this should be the way to go)

Comment

Working...
    X