Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extrude with Alpha

Hi,

I was wondering which method (if it's possible) is easier and faster to extrude simple polys/face with alpha (or image white/black) keeping the "cap" area like full, and not to see the "cut".
    Please see the image attached, in my example it's just a plane with "shell" modify and checker in opacity. I drew in blue (in VFB window) how it should be the result.
    Thank you, maybe it's easy but it's not my skill

Cheers
    Nico
    Attached Files

I don't think it's possible to do it like that. Modeling it is the simplest method.
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

oh...
      So it's not possible to extrude with an w/b image.
      Ok Thank you for letting me know.
      I will put it in "w​ishlist" so

Comment

Depending on viewing distance you might be able to do this with displacement if you apply a *slight* box blur to your very high resolution map. It would require lowering the edge length likely to under 1 pixel.

This certainly would not be perfect for close ups, but might work at smaller sizes.

Comment

I'm finding good results using EnmeshMod (a bit tricky but it works)...of course in my specific case. But I think a proper tool to do that it would be great!

Comment

Sounds like a good solution.

Comment

Originally posted by nicola_barbano View Post
              But I think a proper tool to do that it would be great!
              Water level ought to work for this, alonng with 2d displacement of course from one side only.
              So, two planes, and you're sorted.

Edit: in the attached scene, kill the texture blur, and fix the UV mapping again to avoid border edges, so your displaced edges will be straight.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	663.0 KB ID:	1173972
              Attached Files
              Last edited by ^Lele^; 23-02-2023, 12:24 PM.
              Lele
              Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
              ----------------------
              emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
              The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Hi Lele,
                Yes thank you. I tried yesterday with the DispMod and it works fine...but unfortunately I've also need the back side and in my specific case the planes are not "flat" with different size, position and inclination...it's a bit tricky.
                But instead I found EnmeshMod working very well!...still tricky but the results are great!

Thank you!
                Nico

PS. thank you for your file, but I have Max22

Comment

Here's the file.
                  The geo is closed, and has both sides.
                  Notice the enmesh tech is a direct derivation of the 2d displacement in use here.
                  Attached Files
                  Lele
                  Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                  ----------------------
                  emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                  The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Thank you Lele, too kind.
                    Ciao
                    Nicola

Comment

Working...
                    X