Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Way To Set Exposure & White Balance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Way To Set Exposure & White Balance?

Hello,

I'm using 6.1 and auto exposure and auto white balance do not really work in my scene; in fact, it has been recorded as a bug. So, I am wondering what is the best way to set these using a neutral process that is not affected by personal preferences? I am wanting to get to baseline, and then perhaps tweak that to personal preference. My scene is using VRay Sun & Sky with cameras facing and facing away from the sun, so it seems one exposure setting will not work. I've seen a few tutorials on this, but they seem to only work with interior scenes.

Set your camera and lights to real-world settings, and tweak like you would with a camera. Auto white balance in cameras is usually pretty reliable, and I am assuming so is V-Ray's. If your lights and cameras are correct, then you'll only need minor tweaks. Some I know render with a gray override and use V-Rays' auto settings for their camera and white balance.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

if I remember correctly, auto exposure and auto white dependent on the Light cache of secondary GI engine

Comment

As pointed out, you have a few staples you can use:

*) Physically accurate light values. They will largely match real-life counterparts (IES or not.)
        *) Physically accurate shaders. For example, the response of a mid-gray diffuse will always be the same, so you can use one such override material to gauge lighting intensities and colors of your scene.
        *) Physically accurate cameras. If you set the scene up with the above done right, the camera will return an exposure analogous to that of a real world one.
        *) Scene units too play a big role: ensure you are to the right scale, so you don't accidentally emit 100 times more light than wanted (if the scale is 10 times bigger than expected, for example.).

EDIT: your baseline is anyways given by the auto-exposure.
        That gets transferred to scene, and then tweaked as one pleases.
        Would you be so kind and let me know of the support ticket number you were given?
        Last edited by ^Lele^; 08-03-2023, 07:12 AM.
        Lele
        Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
        ----------------------
        emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Thanks guys for the responses. Using the gray override trick to set auto exposure seems to be the right method for me. In other tutorials I had seen them use near white, and adjusting exposure to match the actual RGB of the material, but they were doing an interior. With an exterior scene that produced a darker exposure that is too dark I found. I don't know anything about photography so that complicated it a bit because I don't know the steps involved with that but understand the exposure and white balance functions.

I used auto exposure and auto white balance with the gray override material and then transferred that to each VRay camera. In my scene, I still needed more ambient light, so I adjusted the VRay Sun multiplier to 2. I could have used a dome light to increase ambient, but that lightened up the shadows too much I thought. That produced a pretty good-looking render. Each camera now has slightly different exposure settings. Does my workflow sound right?

Before I was trying to control the ambient lighting with the exposure setting, and that I think was wrong, so was trying to figure out the correct "baseline" to start with.

@Lele: I think I am using real world scale and values for everything... pretty much starting with defaults on settings. I don't have the bug number, but my support ticket was 71589. Using the gray override trick mostly works except for in some camera views I still get a blue tint on the scene where it should not be when using auto white balance. Without the gray override the blue tint appears in all views.

Comment

Working...
          X